Athearn HO Scale RTR Grinding Gears ProblemSo So I got an Athearn

DNSHo2000

So I got an Athearn F59phi in HO Scale, it has the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Operation Lifesaver paint scheme with the orange and the surfer. I love the look of the locomotive but it has an issue. Whenever I run the locomotive there is a grinding sound. Noticing the issue I replaced the motor and cleaned all of the gears, but I still have the issue. Has anybody else had this issue in the past? How did you fix it? Thank You in advance!

So I got an Athearn F59phi in HO Scale, it has the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Operation Lifesaver paint scheme with the orange and the surfer. I love the look of the locomotive but it has an issue. Whenever I run the locomotive there is a grinding sound. Noticing the issue I replaced the motor and cleaned all of the gears, but I still have the issue. Has anybody else had this issue in the past? How did you fix it? Thank You in advance!
Check the worm gears at the top of the trucks. Some of them have too much vertcal play, and the worm will lift up, grinding and making other noise.

You might also check the wipers on all the wheels. You may have one bent or folded over scraping on the back of a wheel.

Terry mentioned the worm gear. Make sure that the clip holding the worm gear in place is locked all of the was down and that there is a little square brass bushing at each end of the worm geat. While you have the locomotive apart, I would also lightly apply some plastic compatible grease to the worm gear and bushings and lightly apply sone grease to the gears in the trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the "trade mark" coffee grinder effect many have noted on some Athearn RTR engines. It was especially prevelant during the early years of Athearn RTR engines in the 2002-2006 time frame.

The older blue box Athearn also suffered from the coffee grinder sound. I aways blamed spotty QAQC by Athearn and many blamed the motors, but some also would do the Pearl Drops treament to the gears - pack the gears with Pearl Drops toothpaste and run the engine for a while in either direction to polish the gears - then clean it all out and lubricate. I'm not sure if the RTR line were just an extension of the blue box issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if the RTR line were just an extension of the blue box issues.
For the most part, yes but with many detail improvements. The main improvement is the closed pilot with screw-on plastic coupler boxes. Some also have operating windows, directional lighting and installed grabs. Varies with the issue. No more wide bodies.
Willie

As a matter of interest, the new release SD40's appear to be identical to the earlier RTR versions with chassis revisions to enable the fitting of sound decoders. Shells look identical, right down to the sliding cab side windows. May be some road specific add-on details if those haven't been released previously.

As a matter of interest, the new release SD40's appear to be identical to the earlier RTR versions with chassis revisions to enable the fitting of sound decoders. Shells look identical, right down to the sliding cab side windows. May be some road specific add-on details if those haven't been released previously.

The frame may be identical, but the entire shell is new and shares no past with the RPP other than model designation.

Donnell

Hi DNSH
I had a similar problem with a RS3 (Roundhouse) There was a grinding noise that I could not for the life of me get rid of. I mentioned it to an old timer at a hobby shop
his guess was Sometimes the flywheels are ever so slightly off center and the noise it makes vibrates throughout the hood. I still never got that engine fixed. I hope that
helps.

Hey, nycentral57, welcome to the forum!
Up near the top of the main forum page there is a n introduce yourself section. Stop by and tell us a bit about yourself.
Welcome again!:)

Back