April 2017 Model Railroader Articles.

N

NP2626

The April 2017 Issue of Model Railroader had some very interesting articles, I think it is a worthwhile read!

I found Lance Mindhiem's article on the future of the hobby to be very interesting! He feels that battery powered, radio controlled operation will be the future of the hobby and that instead of placing sound decoders in locomotives they will be placed under the layout; or, some other hidden location and the sound will be broadcast to the operator's wireless headphones. I really like this idea, other than the actual sounds our trains make in traveling around our layouts, the layout would be silent. You would be able to easily turn down; or, off the sound the operator heard in his headphones. I could also see that you could eventually eliminate a Sound Decoder for each locomotive, and have the sound for each locomotive be generated from a single Sound Decoder; or just a few decoders, with the variations in sound changed when you brought up the new loco's address. This would allow a savings to the layout builder, not having to have $100; or, more tied up in individual Sound Decoders for individual locomotives, although I could see a sound decoder able to dial in many different locomotive sounds to be more expensive. But, s single decoder that could make both Diesel and Steam sounds. To a certain extent, this actually seems like a simplification of adding sound to a layout to me.

People accuse me of being old fashion and stuck in my ways, however, I say bring this modern contrivance to me ASAP!

At least 2 very big flaws in that headphone idea Mark. 1: Videos. Lots of people do videos. With that idea of no actual sound coming from the locos, might as well not have sound at all. 2: I, and all the others I know at the club, are attracted to sound in locos because of that being so, i.e. we like to hear it coming out of the engine itself. I love Lance Mindhiem's work, but I give him a minus 100% for that idea. And walking around with headphones on? 200%.

I worked in a hobby shop that would run LGB trains in the window at Christmas time. After 8 hours of that chug-chug-chug I NEVER want to hear it again. My videos of model railroading used the recordings of real steam locomotives that I would add in later, during the editing.

A technically savvy person could patch the sound from their wireless demodulator into the camera.

One of the down-sides of sound coming from the loco is the size of the speaker inside. You just can't get those huge rumbling bass tones out of a 2.5mm speaker.

Sound ? Love it or hate it? I am a DC operator, but do have a few locomotives with sound and similar to what Y3a stated, after a while the sound drives me nuts. When I'm working on my layout I will let trains run around the layout just to keep them in running order rotating locomotives that may not have been used for a while. Now I pretty well only run them when the grand kids or visitors want to see the trains run.

I have some real good model railroad friends out of state who have huge layouts plus theit club also has a huge layout and have attended numerous op sessions on these layouts. Most sessions were controlled by dispatchers via radio headsets. Many of the operators had the sound turned up way too high and after a short time it really became annoying to me and it also made it hard to hear the dispatchers.

For me, sound is a novelty.

I enjoy running a locomotive with sound and I operate the bell and horn in a prototypical manner.

But, after a while the sound does bother me and I run a silent train. Like Chet, I run a train when working on project and I keep the sound turned off.

The flip side, when you enter my the Saxeville Interchange, the highest point of the railroad and just below eye level, your attention is attracted to the five interchange tracks that always have some locomotives sitting idle and their lights on (facing the viewer), engines idling and the sounds of the air release and compressors noticeable. This adds realism to the first impression that a visitor has of the model railroad the the experience of seeing scale modeling first hand.

I would never consider not having sound locomotives. No one can replace an ALCO with sound which has the distinct sound only an ALCO can create.

And, then there's the sound of metal wheels on the rolling stock running down the track!

Thanks.

Greg

Greg

I guess if you get tired of; or, hate sound it would be easy enough to just take the head phones off. Or, you could not get involved in this aspect of the hobby. I think that sound will always be optional!!!

I want to hear more of what he said about battery operating radio controlled locomotives. I imagine that power drain is the main reason to move loco sound to the bench?

I want to hear more of what he said about battery operating radio controlled locomotives. I imagine that power drain is the main reason to move loco sound to the bench?

That and the fact that finding room for the decoder and speaker can be difficult. Also, the fact that attempting to get the deep base sounds that locomotives make is really not possible with the tiny speakers we have to use. Dave S, I would recommend reading the article in the April 2017 issue of Model Railroader, if you haven't already.

There is new battery technology for powering onboard power systems: Lithium Ferrite Phosphate, Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) Nickle Cadmium (NiCAD) and Nickle metal Hydride (NiMH) to name a few. I have seen Li-Po batteries smaller than a typical DCC Decoder, power small helicopters and drones for several minutes in the air. Imagine capacity if power demands where lowered to simply driving a train around a layout!

I am not necessarily ready to drop my DCC system and go this new direction. However, I will be keeping my eyes on this possibility, if and when it comes down the tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A technically savvy person could patch the sound from their wireless demodulator into the camera.

Just think of what could be done, if you hooked that demodulator to a tiny Boot Jack Frepicator!!

I've seen a couple of HO and a N scale layouts with booming sound systems. They didn't seem right to me. Sort of like hearing lions in a room full of cats. I like the sound traveling with the locomotive - Doppler effect an all.

I've seen a couple of HO and a N scale layouts with booming sound systems. They didn't seem right to me. Sort of like hearing lions in a room full of cats. I like the sound traveling with the locomotive - Doppler effect an all.

Yes, Doppler effect will be something you will have to get along without, until they devise a transponding system that can determine when the locomotive is closest to the operator. However, think about this, for the engineer there is no Doppler effect, sitting in the cab.

I believe the new BLI "Rolling Thunder" system with sub-woofer is claimed to deliver a Doppler or similar effect. As far as achieving it with the current in loco speakers, I wouldn't say it does, but there is a definite diminishing or increasing of the sound depending on direction of travel and if you wish for an as close as you'll get, in cab experience, then radio or WIFI connected controllers, while you walk alongside is the way to go with exercise thrown in. (a reasonably large layout is a pre-requisite there).

I realize that threads tend to end up going in whatever direction they might. However, my purpose in starting it wasn't to discuss whether sound is "Good; or Bad". There are times I find my diesel and steam locos with sound irritating, especially the bell! No, the purpose of this thread was to discuss future methods of operating (running trains, as opposed to operating per the prototype). I thought Lances Ideas where interesting and the sound sent to wireless head phones really had merit. Run with sound when you want it and take the headphones off; or, turn sound off whenever you don't. I could see this system to be a real advantage in layout rooms where family activity takes place; TV, Stereo, etc...

However, this system might never happen! I can guarantee that other systems will! One which is occurring, is running your train from a cell phone. Personally, I don't have a cell phone and don't want one (showing my age here) and I don't know why this would appeal to anyone, given how cell phone technology changes weekly. I'm hoping that my method of operating (Digitrax DCC) has longevity and is around until I am gone! My idea on this will not come to be, given how technology is in a constant state of flux! Lance Mindhiem's suggestions on how the future will be, gave me an opportunity to consider some about the future of the hobby. That was the purpose of this thread, allowing people to consider the future and hear what they think!

Cell phone or tablet, connecting by WIFI (which requires a computer and JMRI connected to the DCC system) is what most use at my club, in fact we have no tethered capability apart from a programming track with dedicated cab. It has brought more new members in, and helped to convert existing members over to DCC operation, than if it didn't exist. So, I give it credit for that. I don't think you can do programming of CV's with it, but you can set up consists. Personally I'm not keen on it as I find the touch screen throttle, too "touchy" along with the other "buttons". A merely inadvertent contact with the screen and things go haywire.

I use a radio cab, but it is a lot more bulky than a cell phone. Our electrician has a couple of battery powered locos now with radio controls he built himself. Fairly rudimentary control at the moment, speed only, non sound and it's in S scale, so larger batteries can be used. Just adapted R/C car equipment. The club bought an NCE 06 radio cab for member use, but that can only control 1 engine, must experiment to see if it can control a consist by the consist address, once the consist has been formed using a normal cab.

What I would like to see is sound effects around a layout, especially on steel bridges/trestles, that react when a train passes from the solid "land" onto the bridge, continues across, then diminishes as the last cars pass off it. Would take a fair bit of electronics/ occupancy detectors and sound programming to achieve I would think. Maybe something for Ken's Canyon Diablo Bridge once he's sorted out his current problems :rolleyes:

I finally read Lance's article this morning. I do think that battery controlled or dead rail might just be where the future might go. What wasn't mentioned is that the batteries could replace some of the engine weights since they, if large enough, carry some weight themselves. Like some others, I don't need or appreciate sound though, but to each his own, so the headphone thing didn't interest me. I also read with some interest his take on home equipment to make detail parts. It sure sounds practical, but one would certainly need to make a lot of parts to justify the cost. Maybe a pooled purchase with other modelers would make lots of sense. Personally, I also choose not to own a cellphone, so control with one also doesn't hold my interest either.
I have found that I read more of this issue than I normally find interesting in their most recent, say last three or four years, worth of publications. Even Tony K's article (whom I generally loathe since he left RMC) had a few good but egotistical points

Willie

I want everyone to know I don't work for Kalmbach Publishing. However, Model Railroader and The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette are two of the publications I subscribe to. I also get the NMRA's Magazine and my Thousand Lakes Region's publication The Fusee. All of these magazines have advertisements in them (except The Fusee, which is simply a news letter) and I want it that way. Besides understanding the the advertisement offset my cost for my subscription to them, I want to see the stuff that is being advertised, as that is how I keep abreast of what is available to the modeler. Many of you bemoan the fact that you feel Model Railroader carries to much advertisements. I look over the printed media I get and don't see Model Railroader as being any more heavy in advertising than any other. I could run a statistical analysis to determine if I am right; or, wrong in my opinions; however, I don't particularly care! So, if you want to prove me wrong, go ahead and gather the statistics!

I think there is very good information contained in Model Railroader. However, it does pertain to the evolution of model railroading as it is today. I also subscribe to MR Video Plus and the All Time Digital Archives, both a products of Kalmbach Publishing. I feel that The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette is geared more towards the craftsman's interest in this hobby and that is what I like about it.

The above is only to describe where I am coming from. It is not to pick a fight with anyone!

I started this thread with the intentions of looking towards how the hobby might shape up in the future. Instead, it seems to be a place for people to vote NO, on sound and DCC! What ev!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back