Apologies and Starting All Over

Much better. You now have a layout with some operational potential as well as continuous running. You've also saved a couple of hundred dollars on unneeded switches. :)

I'd look at the way the roundhouse track is set up to come off the main line. Right now, you can only enter or exit the roundhouse tracks from the outer main and you have to us two crossovers. You really only need one track. That can connect to the inner main and then you can use a crossover switch further down (or up) to connect the inner and outer main. You need a crossover somewhere between the two mains anyway and this solves two problems at once.

The idea behind this, is to create timing problems for the dispatcher.
Secondary is in a valley floor, as low as I can get it.

The yard is designed to allow two locos to be fueled and serviced at the same time and sent in opposite directions. The center stub is for the wash bay.

I feel the need for another short stub end in the upper loop. That 0-6-0T switch engine again, with it's own fuel, water and sand. Single track engine house, small repair shop. Run the line off of the bottom of the ladder.

I have thought about connecting the two loops thru a swing gate. One of my first ideas was to use a bascule bridge, Walthers had one in their '85 catalog(my only resource).
They have discontinued it. I think I can build my own, have found a metal retailer that sells small steel I-beams that could be said to be in HO scale.
With a pulley attached to a 16v AC moter and a 150lb test braided cotton fishing line for the cable, I think I could pull up a bridge frame and track, with at least a 24" span.
Cotton fishing line is multi-colored, looks like rusty steel cable.

As an alternate lifting source, Micro-mark sells a motor and multi-geared transmission. That might have more power.
A mechanical transmission would be cheaper than variable speed control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I closed the backside of the loops. Dropped the bascule bridge idea for a waterfall and trestle bridge, and put it on a regular swing gate.

I might build the Bascule Bridge just to see if I can. I love to tinker, was well on my way to setting up some kind of machine shop in my garage. Then a tree fell on my garage.........so much for that shop. Than was 4 yrs ago. Since then I learned about Micro-Mark and their lathe and milling machine.
I already have a bench press. I found a vice with movable jaws in both directions. Now I can upgrade to a real milling machine. And a metal working lathe. I think I'm in love.
I had also started on a wood working shop. Sears has a repair shop in my area. It's better than a pawn shop. Returned tools, unclaimed, repaired items, overstocks, etc. Found a Craftsman plunge router for 40% off. Have stuff stashed all over my house; no insurance on the garage. My current place is up for sale, will be moving into new digs by the end of this year. If this heat doesn't let up, I might get out sooner. That's where the new space is. I want to have a plan ready when we get there.

Check out the link I left in Locomotives and Rolling Stock. I found some good info on Bachmann's Spectrum line, and a little history lesson.

Jim, I didn't think I could make the curve out of the roundhouse
onto the secondary. I tried it this morning, it fits.
I also simplified the top ladder.
I still like the idea of sending locos in both directions.

Glad the track fits by the roundhouse leads. I don't get where you are connecting the two loops though. Unless I'm mistaken, you've created a revers loop electrically by doing so and I don't understand the purpose. A real railroad would just have one loop of track if it had the terrain and not waste money on those return loops you have. The idea should be that there's something in the middle, like a range of hills or mountains, that prevented the railroad from going to point A to point B directly. I think you're starting to get back into the mindset of planning to get in as much track as possible without thinking about why the track is there or what kind of scenery the trains will run through.

The multiple loops are there so I can run the entire thing solo. Let the passenger make a random loop. I, as the freight engineer, has to make my daily route, and keep out of the way.
The swing gate, etc are there to give me an excuse to build a waterfall and wooden trestle beidge.

I understand about the reverse loops. What I don't understand is the additional piece of track connecting the two reverse loops on left side of the layout. You've extended the electrical problems of the reverse loop to two more switches. You've also connected the two reverse loops together. Why would a railroad not just make the track go from point A to point B with no reverse loops if they could connect both points directly? You're losing the opportunity to add some scenery between the two sides of the layout to act as a view block between the two teminals. You can still do continuous running with the two reverse loop.

Passenger trains don't run randomly. No mater how you do this, you're still going to have to have your freights clear either the mainline or switches from time to time to let the passenger trains pass.

Perhaps I should have said that I would have preselected routes set up. Take a random route and let it run. I can make 5 or 6 different configurations, by according to what stations get picked up and which do not.
The idea of having the freights keep the main clear is the objective of this layout.
I worked as a long-haul truck driver for 30 years. It was always a real challenge to make my pick-ups and deliviers on time,
while having to put up with all the things that can go wrong.
With the variations of preselected routes for the main, I can keep myself occupied for a long time.

Having said al that, I have a new update.
You could now say that I am adding track for the sake of it.
I added a 2nd line to the upper service stub. That will hold a 2-stall car barn, and serve as home for the yard goat and road switcher.
I added two passenger storage tracks in the bottom loop, and made a new run around for the passenger main.
I am paranoid about having enough storage room.
I also plan on running this as a "Plywood Pacific" for a year. If I have to pull all that Bachmann track up, I won't have to destroy scenery.

One more update. I changed the roundhouse area to a more conventional config and added a 2nd stub around the roundhouse.

I decided to delete the swing gate, connecting the two loops. The idea was a holdover from plans when I had a much smaller room. I won't bother with another update.

I suspect that, in retrospect, you'll think getting rid of the swing bridge will turn out to be the best idea you ever had. :)

I thought I had a finished plan. Then I got to cleaning out old WinRail files...
I found a passenger terminal I adapted out of an old MR; it fits perfectly into the space where the two mains ran parallel.
I also took some kinks out of the top ladder.

I printed out a copy, looked at it all day and completed the secondary thru both curves.
I straightened some more kinks.

Back