Anyone recognize this....

fuel tank? My dad said he had something to do with this, it was built to extend the run time of a switcher while in the yard. He pasted before I really got into railroading and would like to know so I can build one for my layout.
rappb1.jpg

Looks like a slug to me. If those trucks still have their traction motors, it probably is. I see that IHB had a few home-grown slugs on their roster, although I didn't see anything that looked quite like this. The photos I can find of PB-1 don't look like this one because of that 'tank' in the middle. I suspect your dad was right; it was to extend run time of the companion loco.

Interesting piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is definitely a slug or booster unit. The "tank" is probably an old locomotive fuel tank filled with concrete to act as ballast for extra traction.

Agreed. I see the MU cables but no fuel line, and it's between a pair of locos, where a slug would normally be

Intresting. it is a slug but not sure if it holds fuel for the locos. if it held fuel I would think that as soon as it was near empty the slug would be pretty useless for traction. you would have to keep it topped off above 1/2 a tank to get the most out of it. at that point just refuel the locos every other day and keep the slug tank filled with a heavy fluid or concrete so that it always has the weight for good traction. Regardless this is intresting and thanks for sharing..

After thinking about it, my vote is definitely for the fuel tank idea (or maybe beer). If all they wanted to do was add weight, there are many easier ways to do that than to go to the trouble of putting a fuel tank on and filling it with a heavy liquid.

I'm going from what I remember being told a decade ago, so my memories a bit fuzzy. I do know that they run there locos 24/7, so it could help, but idk..

After thinking about it, my vote is definitely for the fuel tank idea (or maybe beer). If all they wanted to do was add weight, there are many easier ways to do that than to go to the trouble of putting a fuel tank on and filling it with a heavy liquid.

I really don't think so. Remember that railroads are cheap. They won't spend five cents unless they have to, so: Old SW with blown engine. Not worth much in trade, or scrap value but electrical gear good. Old fuel tank with leak or from another dead loco. Purge it, cut the top open, and fill with concrete. Mount it on the dead SW. Instant slug made out of stuff you had laying around. Also, why go to this much trouble for a fuel tank. You could outfit an old tank car much easier and get a bunch more capacity, and this was done in the UP's turbine era. Nope, this is a slug. Also, these are used in yard service. Why extend the fuel capacity of yard switchers that are never very far from the fueling facilities? Plus the IHB wasn't exactly an over the road outfit :)

Maybe it's both. It's MU'd to the others and the traction motors are still there, but I don't see any fuel lines to the other units

Great kitbash project!

I really don't think so. Remember that railroads are cheap. They won't spend five cents unless they have to, so: Old SW with blown engine. Not worth much in trade, or scrap value but electrical gear good. Old fuel tank with leak or from another dead loco. Purge it, cut the top open, and fill with concrete. Mount it on the dead SW. Instant slug made out of stuff you had laying around. Also, why go to this much trouble for a fuel tank. You could outfit an old tank car much easier and get a bunch more capacity, and this was done in the UP's turbine era. Nope, this is a slug. Also, these are used in yard service. Why extend the fuel capacity of yard switchers that are never very far from the fueling facilities? Plus the IHB wasn't exactly an over the road outfit :)

Maybe it's both. It's MU'd to the others and the traction motors are still there, but I don't see any fuel lines to the other units

Great kitbash project!

The Power Boosters are mainly used in hump yards, and may go from one end of the line to the other. It was a SW7, converted into slug PB1 in 76, and they added the tank in the 80s. It is basically weight over traction motors. I just wish I could remember what the tank was off of, or if it was a one-off tank.

More photos here:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=31828
including its original version. Still don't know if the fuel tank holds fuel or not. It looks like it's off a GE u boat. It doesn't seem necessary and the slug wouldn't pull well without the extra weight. Maybe it is heavily ballasted and the fuel weight, or lack of, wouldn't make much difference. The filler spout is definately an arguement against concrete.

After a few more thoughts, I think the tank holds fuel. It was originally built without the tank and it doesn't make sense to cut it apart and modify it to install the tank to just add more weight. My vote is for extra fuel.

Whatever it is it would make a great project and a conversation piece on a layout.

Come to think of it has anyone ever seen a model slug or calf?

I'm thinking it does hold fuel:

1) there's a few spillage stains that occured after painting ("Harbor") and the painting was definitely done after construction.

2) Usually when a unit is ballasted with concrete or such, the body is left in place as it holds a lot more volume than this relatively small fuel tank.

3) in Jeff's pic, that's definitely a fuel fill line, which if not used would certainly be long gone if not needed.

Just a thought, the IHB has an extensive website, you may find some info there. Their neighbor, the Chicago Beltline has an excellent site for browsing also. I'm curious as to the answer since this frankinsteen works my area.

I think it is obvious that it is both auxillary fuel and a slug. Why else would they have specifically installed a fuel filler pipe? And looking at pictures of the switchers it has been attached to, I notice that the fuel tanks on the switchers are miniscule. There are a ton of pictures of this unit here. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopicture.aspx?id=31828 Scroll about half way down and all the pictures are of this particular unit.

Also, the reason for using this set-up rather than a tank car for aux fuel is this set-up provides visibility. And tank cars don't have traction motors. :)

Why is everyone ignoring the obvious.......it's both........makes perfect sense. You get the added fual capacity while at the same time adding weight to the slug, which adds tractive effort to the switcher....sure sounds like railroad thinking to me!

Back