Anyone know what this wiring does

marctesla

Hello, everyone. I am new to the board and only have about 2 months in the hobby. I recently picked up a Mantua Vanderbilt Tender. I opened it up since I am planning to re-label it from Union Pacific to Southern Pacific. When I opened it up I found this wiring and can not figure out what it is for. The screw in the middle is attached to some wipers that are attached to the front and back wheels. Not sure what the electronic component is attached to the weight. and from the component the wires that are spiraled are not attached to anything they both just end. They have not been stripped so I don't think they were ever attached to anything. Appreciate your help I will be attaching this to one of my steam engines and don't want it to blow it up.

Attachments

• 20240207_094526.jpg
    20240207_094526.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240207_094605.jpg
    20240207_094605.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240207_094642.jpg
    20240207_094642.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240207_095212.jpg
    20240207_095212.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 30
That looks like something "custom" a previous owner installed. If your steam engine is DC only, I'm pretty sure it's safe to remove most of it. The wires to the pickups would probably be a benefit, since tender wheel contact is always kind of "iffy".

Welcome, we are glad to have you!

I'm not sure what all that wiring is for.

If you disconnect the wires that go to the wheels you won't have to worry. Those wires are part of the circuit to pick up power from the rails. No power, no problems. You could leave a little bit of the wire on the pickup side in the event you want to put something in it that requires power.

Thanks everyone. I was able to contact the person I bought it from and he said that it was a circuit that he setup to give the headlight full power even if the engine wasn't at full power. The cuircuit is a 4 diode bridge rectifier. Not sure how that would work so I just cleaned it all out. I think I will take BNSF971's advise and reconnect the wires.

Thanks everyone. I was able to contact the person I bought it from and he said that it was a circuit that he setup to give the headlight full power even if the engine wasn't at full power. The cuircuit is a 4 diode bridge rectifier. Not sure how that would work so I just cleaned it all out. I think I will take BNSF971's advise and reconnect the wires.
Yup, you beat me to it. I would have guessed directional power for a backup lamp though, since it is in the tender.

Back