Anyone know how to make your own wildgrass?

OCN Guy

the title says it all! I've noticed that all model railroader scenery stuff tends to have much cheaper alternatives you can buy at places like Michaels or art supply places - I figure wild grass is no different. I can't believe the prices WS and others are charging for scenery supplies. It's good for them, but figure $4 for about two inches of grass ... roughly 32 scale inches. For large sections... the prices rapidly chew up hobby budget better put aside for boxcars!
So... does anyone use or know of a hobby item at say Michaels that's roughly the same as WS field grass?

I heard you can get those plant pot toppers at Michaels, and they are real cheap like $2 each or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made some decent-looking grass from deer fur. One mangy deer head from a garage sale and you've got grass. :) (Also check out fly fishing shops, they'll have hair that's cleaned and even dyed.)

Field Grass

Hi Jack from Star, Idaho. Fabric stores carry fake fur that is pretty cheap. You can dye the fur using clothing dye (Ritz) green, yellow, tan, etc. just pick a color. Once the fur has dried you can comb or brush it up and glue into place. I saw this on a video by Joe Fugate and the results are great. You can even use tempera paint to blend different colors. Give it a try it does look good...:eek:

Jack Strong

I've made good looking grass by using the bristles from the cheapest paint brushes that they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. Not a very good photo but this is all I have on-hand. Look at the very lower left corner.

-Mike

I have used Outdoor carpet that is used on Golf Course driving ranges. You can get scraps at your local carpet store, Lowes or Home Depot. It doesn't take much. About a 1 foot square will last a long time. I take real sharp scissors & cut it off at the base of the carpet. Most of it is already shades of green. Also, deep pile fine carpet cut at the backing of the carpet works great. I get the 4 pack of paint brushes at Dollar Tree. Some of them are shaded from the handle to the tip of the bristle. Starts out w/a dark to med to lite brown to white. I use paint brushes for the tall grass & weeds along the banks of my ponds & rivers. Just put a blob of E6000 glue where you want your tall grass & stick it in the glue. You can spread the bristles then or wait till the glue dries a little.

I use old rope bits. Not the yellow poly stuff or the white nylon stuff, just old fashioned fibrous rope. Its a kind of dead grass colour. Just cut off various lengths and glue down as is. Works and looks great! Sorry no pics right now - I'm just starting my first layout in 16 years. Time to re-learn a lot of things - especially how massively expensive this hobby can be!! It's no wonder I've always used scraps of whatever for scenicking and scratchbuilding.

EDIT: I did a search and it is called Manila rope. It is a traditional natural fibre 3-strand rope and really does a nice job, but if you want greener wild grass, you may want to dye or stain it to taste.

24mmmanila.jpg

Just un twist it and have at 'er. A few feet will last you years if not a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
go to the dollar store and buy a few blonde or whatever color wigs sandy blonde makes good grass sorry no pics i had it on an old module that was redone

Back