Anybody else have a messy bench?

I have the problem where I clean and organize the work area, then have NO IDEA where anything is! Almost need to keep it a mess so I can work more efficiently. And, it is sort of fun to take a break every once in a while to go looking for the Xacto blades that you know are laying around somewhere...

I bought a small drawer organizer from Walmart. It sits on top of my desk and holds all my scratch building tools. Things like paint brushes, tweezers, Xuron tools (pliers, shears and nippers), and my glue syringes. That keeps all that stuff organized.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I bought a small drawer organizer from Walmart.

I have something like this, it is a fold open suitcase like device that has numerous compartments, that is where I keep a lot of my smalls. I think it was designed for fishing tackle because it is super durable, bought it at a thrift store for $5. I pride myself on being super organized but still find myself bumping into stuff I didn't even know I had.

I like to totally clean the work area between projects, which is about once a week or twice a month. It is clean for about 15 minutes and then I have the next one going. I would love to have a huge table so I can have everything spread out on there around the edges with a big clean area in the middle.

lasm

... I would love to have a huge table so I can have everything spread out on there around the edges with a big clean area in the middle.

lasm

lasm,

My workbench is an old 12' conference table, and I get about 1/2 of it. Still isn't enough room.

And like bklynman, once the area is "clean", I can't find a d*** thing until it's messy again.

image.jpgTheres my messy workbench

My bench and what saves me :)

So yeah, this is my bench after a few weeks of projects, and just before I finally have to stop and clean everything up so I can continue on.

bench.jpg

And then THIS is really what saves me from being over-cluttered ALL the time. Until I came up with this little brainstorm I had bins full of everything scattered everywhere and couldn't find anything to save my butt. I still have most of what you see on the bench put into their various places ON the bench, and when there aren't locomotives and decals piled everywhere it's actually pretty neat. But attaching all those Command hangers to the backs of the doors finally put the vast majority of my parts and smaller supplies where they were easily and readily accessible. Of course there are still bins full of stuff like landscaping materials, tracks, what have you, but no more digging for the small stuff :)

doors.jpg

This is as clean as mine ever gets (it's between projects at the moment), but it is only a fraction of the work area. There is a long bench off to the right where the paint booth and test track are, and separate work tables for resistance soldering and the blasting booth.
Bench4_zpsce0e2315.jpg

Quick question for Manitobamodeler24; did everything "fall into place" after Blackz28 made your picture upright? Sorry, I couldn't resist!

What is a clean bench. I think when I last moved(1999) it was the last time mine was "clean". I do organize it from time to time. but I mostly know where very thing is, or was. LOL

Tim

I am still waiting for somebody to define "messy". Cluttered but know where everything is, that is not messy. Loose things for months then find it right in front of you, well.....that might be considered messy. Loose something forever to the voids of hell, yeah that is a bit over messy.

The other day I was half listening to the radio and I heard a researcher say "a cluttered desk is the sign of a brilliant mind" The next time someone tells you your desk/work space is messy tell them that. I don't know if its true or not but it sounds good to me!

It's not my intention to revive a dead thread, but I though of this thread immediately when I read this...
http://gizmodo.com/the-perfect-family-work-surface-three-desks-one-shelv-1592479815

How cool would it be to have three work areas, all contained within the space that one work area would consume? Then, you can work on multiple projects at once, and each project can have its own area. A table or desk next to you to hold supplies would be needed.

REMEMBER:
No matter how big the work table is, the 'work area' is still 8" square!

Back