Any info on this train set please.

It has sold, but you would not have been happy with the quality. It is of the 40 hours to fail variety--the kind mothers give to their sons with the intent that they be run sometimes on the bedroom floor. Since set-up isn't easy, the set seldom reached the 40 hours or does so after a couple years beyond the warranty.

It has sold, but you would not have been happy with the quality. It is of the 40 hours to fail variety--the kind mothers give to their sons with the intent that they be run sometimes on the bedroom floor. Since set-up isn't easy, the set seldom reached the 40 hours or does so after a couple years beyond the warranty.

Oh well, you live and you learn i'm the one that bought it! I've been flying r/c helicopters for around 15 years and want to try something different. I've been wanting to build a nice scale train setup for sometime now since I have plenty of room indoors to stretch out! If this set is'nt worth the time then what would you suggest for a good start?

Your best bet is to buy everything seperate. It may cost more that way but you will get higher quality stuff. Do alittle shopping and study first and get an idea what you want. I bought a few sets and the enignes didnt run all that well. however they are reparable and will be so later. Also would be good to decide on a favorite railroad and stick with it. I have gone with late SP to be my basis however I also like steam. My steam will not be based on anything as I just buy them according to what I like. My Favorite steam engine type is the Mountian 4-8-2. The other great thing about the SP is that it undergone four differant paint jobs and was owned by several other railroads so they dont really look out of place with engines from other railroads. That and the local shortline here is useing 8 of there old tunnel motors.
If your looking to be accurate as far as railroad and era you may want to ask around and do some homework on what your looking for.
1 are you wanting to stick with Steam, there were several eras of steam.
Diesel there were 4 eras to go with as the look and design of the engines changed.
2 are you wanting passanger trains or Freight or a mix of the two.
3 space that you have to make a layout. you always want to plan before you build.

There are other things to know but I dont know them yet as I am just getting my start myself. I do have alot of engines and rolling stock but I am just in the planning stage of my layout.
However joining this forum was a good thing, Alot of people here with very good advice, Guys with many years of expirance and mistakes to learn from.

Don

Your best bet is to buy everything seperate. It may cost more that way but you will get higher quality stuff. Do alittle shopping and study first and get an idea what you want. I bought a few sets and the enignes didnt run all that well. however they are reparable and will be so later. Also would be good to decide on a favorite railroad and stick with it. I have gone with late SP to be my basis however I also like steam. My steam will not be based on anything as I just buy them according to what I like. My Favorite steam engine type is the Mountian 4-8-2. The other great thing about the SP is that it undergone four differant paint jobs and was owned by several other railroads so they dont really look out of place with engines from other railroads. That and the local shortline here is useing 8 of there old tunnel motors.
If your looking to be accurate as far as railroad and era you may want to ask around and do some homework on what your looking for.
1 are you wanting to stick with Steam, there were several eras of steam.
Diesel there were 4 eras to go with as the look and design of the engines changed.
2 are you wanting passanger trains or Freight or a mix of the two.
3 space that you have to make a layout. you always want to plan before you build.

There are other things to know but I dont know them yet as I am just getting my start myself. I do have alot of engines and rolling stock but I am just in the planning stage of my layout.
However joining this forum was a good thing, Alot of people here with very good advice, Guys with many years of expirance and mistakes to learn from.

Don

I guess theres alot of info and alot to decide on! I am leaning more towards the diesel era being that thev'e always caught my eye. Like I stated above, i've flown r/c heli's for years and have spent "thousands" on them so I believe model rail roading will be a good change! Is there a good post or a sticky on here that I should start out on?

I guess theres alot of info and alot to decide on! I am leaning more towards the diesel era being that thev'e always caught my eye. Like I stated above, i've flown r/c heli's for years and have spent "thousands" on them so I believe model rail roading will be a good change! Is there a good post or a sticky on here that I should start out on?

As a current RC pilot (heli and fixed wing) and Model RR'er I can tell you you're going to spend just as much on trains as you will helis. :D

-G-

Oh well, you live and you learn i'm the one that bought it! I've been flying r/c helicopters for around 15 years and want to try something different. I've been wanting to build a nice scale train setup for sometime now since I have plenty of room indoors to stretch out! If this set is'nt worth the time then what would you suggest for a good start?
Oops, sorry.

Take the set and put it on a tableor sheet of plywood and let her run. Don't develop it yet. There's a lot you can learn by figuring out what you don't want. It will be worth the $40 bucks. Then give the set to a kid.

Try reading my beginner's guide clickable in my signature. That will help keep you from spending needlessly. From there we can talk about quality. There are lots of ways to waste money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, sorry.

Take the set and put it on a tableor sheet of plywood and let her run. Don't develop it yet. There's a lot you can learn by figuring out what you don't want. It will be worth the $40 bucks. Then give the set to a kid.

Try reading my beginner's guide clickable in my signature. That will help keep you from spending needlessly. From there we can talk about quality. There are lots of ways to waste money.

Thanks for your honesty, its very much appreciated! I would really like to build an n scale setup. I have the room to build a very nice scale scene using n scale. The room I would like to build in is 11x12 and I believe that it can be built having full access to all sides. I would also like to include alot of water scenery. I live accross lake ponchartrain about 20 minutes from New Orleans Louisiana. There are so many trains in the city you would have to see it with your own eyes to believe it! My wifes been asking me to model an engine after the Bublic Belt Railroad Co. because of her father. I think its about time to take on a new hobby and so far everyone has been very helpful. I'm gonna stick around on this forum for awhile!:)

Whoops..... :D

There are some sets that might be worth the money. The Atlas one with the tru-track is decent; you can take the track off the molded base and mate it to snap-track. I think the Lifelike set might be OK (or was it Bachmann?), can't remember as I read the 'train sets roundup' in the Xmas issue of Model Railroad Magazine. I remember two brands that were OK.

If you really need a 'set', the best bet is to get to know a good hobby shop where the clerks are knowledgeable, and have them physically 'build' the set for you. As in, perhaps EZ-track (the NS kind), some kind of powerpack, and different brands of freight cars. It will cost you more than a pre-packaged set, but you can be assured that the components of your set will be better.

Kennedy

Whoops..... :D

There are some sets that might be worth the money. The Atlas one with the tru-track is decent; you can take the track off the molded base and mate it to snap-track. I think the Lifelike set might be OK (or was it Bachmann?), can't remember as I read the 'train sets roundup' in the Xmas issue of Model Railroad Magazine. I remember two brands that were OK.

If you really need a 'set', the best bet is to get to know a good hobby shop where the clerks are knowledgeable, and have them physically 'build' the set for you. As in, perhaps EZ-track (the NS kind), some kind of powerpack, and different brands of freight cars. It will cost you more than a pre-packaged set, but you can be assured that the components of your set will be better.

Kennedy

I do buy alot of supplies from a guy in the city who owns Mikes Train shop. He's been building and selling trains for quite a few years, nice guy and honest too. I normally buy balsa and other odds and ends and usually stare at the huge scale setup he has like a little kid:eek: When you visit there its like "train land" for an enthusiest! I'm going to pay a visit to him next week and see what he has for n scale. I would much rather piece it all together, and it seems that everyone agrees on that idea anyway. I pieced the majority of my heli's together so that part is'nt new to me at all. I'm a very tedious person, I spent more time building heli's than flying anyway. I am looking forward to scratch building scenery.

Since you have a good train shop close to you, you are a lucky man. Browse what he has available and see what catches your eye. That may help you decide it you want to got diesel or steam and what era is of the most interest to you. Talk to the owner and et him know what you'd like to do and take his advice for some starter equipment.

It's an IHC set, one of many they have produced for private label specials... unless it has some great collectible value for the company involved, it's just an IHC SD40 and some cheap freight cars with advertising on them. If it works for ya, have fun with it - but there's much better stuff out there.

Andy

Thanks for your honesty, its very much appreciated! I would really like to build an n scale setup. I have the room to build a very nice scale scene using n scale. The room I would like to build in is 11x12 and I believe that it can be built having full access to all sides. I would also like to include alot of water scenery. I live accross lake ponchartrain about 20 minutes from New Orleans Louisiana. There are so many trains in the city you would have to see it with your own eyes to believe it! My wifes been asking me to model an engine after the Bublic Belt Railroad Co. because of her father. I think its about time to take on a new hobby and so far everyone has been very helpful. I'm gonna stick around on this forum for awhile!:)

Good, you have a vision of what you want. Now don't buy anything unless it fits that vision. 11 x 12 is semi-massive for an N scale layout. Think in terms of $100 sq ft and 50 hrs per ft to build.

Since you are just starting, figure that you will grow in the hobby. By reading here you may get an inkling if which that might be, but you really won't get true sense until you roll up you sleeves and do it.

So ideally, you will take your 11 x 12 and break it up into phases--the first phase of which allows you independent operation so you can get your trains running. Then you can adjust the subsequent phases to better suit your interests. For example:

There are people that just like to watch trains run
There are people who like switching cars in and out of sidings
There are those that like to build detailed models.
There are people who like building detailed, realistic scenery
There are people who like to get together as a group and model a working railroad with a dispatcher, operators, conductors and engineers.

I would caution you against deciding now what your interests are, because they all grow on you as you hear about and see examples.

Here are some plans that fit a 10 x 12 space. It is from a design contest I recently hosted.

http://www.chipengelmann.com/Trains/10x12Contest.html

Back