Another WTH Ebay Moment

This one takes the cake...

Ok this guy builds great locos and is one of the most talented modelers Ive ever seen (esp considering his age), but this is ridiculous...Kudos for him to be able to command that type of price though. I think the bidding started at 399.99 which is reasonable considering the model, his skill, the detail, etc.

But $4000 and climbing!!!??? College money he needed, college money he is going to have! Somebody is out of their mind though somewhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Towe...053826?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4169644782

Wow

WOW that is truely crazy. I just read they will be mass produced by I think Athearn Genesis in the near future starting around $450. I think I can wait for those to come out and enjoy them and even spend less money!!!

Yeah I saw an interview with the Athearn product manager yesterday that sounds like they are going to do the Gevo re-tool from the old Tower55 molds and try to have something out late 2013. Personally, I hope IM does it as I think theyre Gevos are quite nice. Ok, thread hijack over.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes--somebody is spending their gold bars for model trains...discuss. :D

no way that kid is going to be getting paid that. I bet someone is messing with him and jacking up the price.

my thoughts

I think IM should do the GEVO units all detailed up and I think MTH (1st Choice) or Athearn Genesis(2nd Choice) to produce the ACe units. Either way I am guessing we will still have a ton of detailing to do to make it perfect!!! We shall see.

Eric

Lol!

After seeing that $4000 bid on the HO locomotive...I no longer feel bad about the horn falling off my $95 N scale microtrains FT A-unit. Plus I got the B-unit with the A-unit...all for $95 still NIB. That would really hurt me bad if a railing or a rivet fell off my $4000+ HO trophy....or if a bug pooped on it. Better keep it safe in the box.

Mike

Maybe it's a typo? Someone hit an extra 0 and can't take it back?

Or it's a billionaire who can't model worth shit and knows it!

I see the custom NS is now at $560 with 2 bidders. Ones got a red star with score of 1655, and the other a 'newbie' with 0. That'll be an interesting contest. Experience against "wet behind the ears"

Those two gevos were $4050 and $2000 for a little bit, but must have been a typo that the bidde, seller, and eBay worked out. I'm not sure if everyone writing on this thread was aware of that. That was why there was the flurry of posts.

Those two gevos were $4050 and $2000 for a little bit, but must have been a typo that the bidde, seller, and eBay worked out. I'm not sure if everyone writing on this thread was aware of that. That was why there was the flurry of posts.

Yes I gathered that, I've seen similar on Aus eBay, but it's usually been a bit malicious.

I don't see why people would bid that much.... They're not even correct! The heritage GEVOs with the exception of the Monongahela unit are all current production GEVOs which have a lot of differences (like how the nose door is now on the engineer's side). Anyone can slap a heritage scheme on anything and call it a heritage unit. If people want foobies like that, Athearn is painting up some AC4000s in those paint schemes and will be selling them for $100.

Yeah I saw an interview with the Athearn product manager yesterday that sounds like they are going to do the Gevo re-tool from the old Tower55 molds and try to have something out late 2013. Personally, I hope IM does it as I think theyre Gevos are quite nice. Ok, thread hijack over.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes--somebody is spending their gold bars for model trains...discuss. :D

Nope, Athearn won't be doing it anytime soon. Athearn is releasing foobies (heritage units painted on their AC4400s) because Intermountain is already retooling their GEVOs. Athearn doesn't want to spend the money to create a duplicate product that will result in poor sales for both manufacturers. That, and they want to make the foobies to cash in on the heritage craze ASAP.

I don't disagree w you, and I think ultimately IM will beat them to the newer versions of the gevos. But there is a video by MRH hobbyist mag released the other day on YouTube where the interview the vp of product development at Athearn where he alludes to the tower 55 retool after mentioning the ac4400 foobies.

As far as "foobies" are concerned, Intermountain is also getting in on it by releasing the ES44AC in "Fallen Flag" schemes because there is a demand for them. Is that not just "cashing in" as well?

The truth is that this is MODEL railroading and a lot of us don't care if something is 100% prototypical down to the last nut and bolt so long as we personally like it and want to have it.

http://www.con-cor.com/Partners/IntermountainHO.html

Back