Another Tortoise question

hamltnblue

I'm in the process of setting up several tortoise's. When visiting a couple of clubs I noticed that they had the wire bent over the turnout point. Is this necessary? The instructions do not mention it and I'd rather not if it isn't required.
Thanks

Do you mean they had the wire bent over the turnout throwbar? If so, you almost have to do this with the standard Torti wire because it's so thin that it has a tendency to pop out of the throwbar. Use. .039 music wire instead. It's nice and stiff and you won't need that bend to hold it in the throwbar.

Thanks
The standard torti wire is .025
I'm surprised that they haven't upgraded to thicker wire.
The hole in the throwbar is also .025. For thicker wire you have to drill it out.

There are a couple methods of linking the Tortoise motor to the throw bar. 1) is to drill up through the roadbed directly below the throwbar and the other is 2) to drill down through the space between the 2nd and 3rd ties away from the throwbar. The 1st method does not require the wire to be bent over the throwbar where as the 2nd does.

I've not had any problems with the .025 wire coming out when installed as 1).

Rather than purchasing a Remote Tortoise Mount, I use .025 wire, brass tube and simple coupling to fashion a RTM. I also use this configuration to power 2 turnouts from one Tortoise for crossovers. If interested, I'll take some pix tomorrow and post them.

Page 48 of their catalog shows the RTM and gives an idea of how it works. In my remote, the Tortoise mounts vertically (as normal).
http://circuitron.com/index_files/301CAT.pdf

Regards,
Jon

Nope, I haven't done that to any of mine and I have used the outer throwbar and also the rivet hole on the inside. I trim my wire to about 1/16" above the outer bar with it thrown fully in either direction. You can get a little closer by using the rivet hole. I do like the heavier wire instead of the ones supplied. I guarantee that it will throw the points snuggly. ;) :D

Back