Another One Bites the Dust!

AL1

Shortliner
The big orange blob gets another "famous" railroad of the Southeast: the Georgia Southwestern.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081001/ny36060.html?.v=1

A trademark of the GSWR was its Central of Georgia paint scheme on its locomotives. Being the "flagship" locomotives of their fleet, they will be the first painted bright orange in the coming months.

The Georgia Southwestern railroad operates 220 miles in Southwest Georgia and Southeast Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, its better than going to the yellow/gray borg road at least, but still gonna miss the blue white around here.:(

Wow, and we were just discussing how RailAmerica ditched GSWR after the take over of RailTex, now G&W gets it!!

I suspect the debt on the Georgia Southwestern is a lot more "toxic" than it first appears. The G&W paid about $72,000 per mile, which is little more than the real estate value and scrap value of the track. The fact that the G&W paid cash indicates they have some faith that the Georgia Southwestern can earn a profit but they took a pretty good discount if the debt is really only $5 million.

The GSWR just picked up two unit train contracts less than a month ago, both promising almost 4,500 carloads a piece. I'm surprised that Terry Smalls sold his railroad despite all that potential.

I suppose along with that goes all hope of re-laying the GSWR's Cuthbert-Cusseta line. Although, I suspect with all that debt it wouldn't have happened anyways.

Just as a little update, I got info from an inside source about some future changes coming to the line now that it is G&W.

First of all, 4 SD40-2's are going to the Bay Line railroad in Dothan, Alabama.. Additionally, GP40's will be sent to the Georgia Southwestern to replace them. The FP9's will be painted orange and black then shipped off to a tourist operation owned by the G&W.

Also the old Central of Georgia depot at Dawson will be demolished to accommodate locomotive shop expansion as well as new G&W offices.

I'm glad to hear they are saving the FP-9's but really sorry to hear that they are going to demolish the depot. Let's hope some local historic preservation groups raise a stink before it happens. I'm actually rather doubtful, given today's financing market, that the G&W would really do this kind of project before the end of next year.

Well folks, the depot came crashing down today..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=40251

Damn shame.

The pair of GSWR SD40-2s have been transferred to Panama City, FL and two Bay Line GP38-2s are now on the GSWR. The third forecasted 'changing of the guard' action is to send the FP9s away... To my knowledge this has not happened yet, but it is only a matter of time..

UP2CSX said:
I'm glad to hear they are saving the FP-9's
At least they are saving them, but they will be repainted into that gaudy G&W scheme. The depot is bad though. I hate the G&W for doing things like this. I know it's all about business, but do you really need to take down a historic building?

Sorry to see an old Depot coming down, but at least it's for progress on the railroad instead of something else.

Back