Another first timer...

eric2448

Just recently began my adventure back into model railroading and decide to start on a project I wanted to do as a kid. Being fascinated by the logistics of the circus and its movement by rail; I had always wanted to model a train of my own. After much research and finding some items I was eyeing on clearance I decided to give it a shot.

Im starting out with 5 Walthers 6-3 Heavyweight Pullmans. After completely disassembling them, I tried brush painting one of the sides with enamel which turned out to be a mess. I discovered Superclean does a wonderful job at stripping enamel paint and then 91 alcohol took off the factory Pullman Green. Attempt number 2 started with the purchase of a HF Deluxe Airbrush. After running a few cups of water through it to practice and painting a piece of cardboard I felt ready enough to start on the car sides.

So far Im satisfied with the progress, Ive got 2 coats of red down and am working on my custom decals. Found some inkjet waterslide paper at my LHS and hope to make it work for my project. I know there are a few circus buffs around this forum and look forward to sharing my experiences and hearing feedback from everyone. Havent had a chance to get any pictures yet, but Ill be posting some up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric - Welcome! I don't model circus trains but I have built a few larger scale circus wagons a few years back. Ever been to Baraboo Wi? If not, go!

Those heavyweights look too good to modify but I look forward to see what you make of them. Where did you get them on clearance....I might have to pick up some of those too!
-Art

what did you pay for them on clearence? Looking for some in a few weeks to do my custom LV and freelanced railroad OCS train.

Update!

Well Ive finished with the painting and assembly, they turned out better than I expected. I still have to decal them but Im going to hold off for a while on that. The decal paper I was going to use wasnt going to give me the quality that I wanted so I may go another route on that. I had to modify one of the doors because some glue got on the glazing and ruined it, so as you can see its top half is cut out, I like how it turned out. I also went with Sergent Engineering couplers which I think look great. Pardon the paper towel backdrop and my experimental module...

Back