Annoying Ads...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Okay, and yes, this is a "bi#@ch". Does anyone else get annoyed with the adverts that appeared in the forums? I know I am. I wonder what it would take to have the forums completely Ad free.

By the way, not only are the ads irrelevant to the forums, but they slow the loading of pages dramatically. Additionally, the take download each and every time they open. Now that may not be a problem for those who have unlimited downloading, but for those who don't, it is a waste and (frankly) invasive.

Okay, so I am now off my soap box BUT would do anything, almost, to rid the forums of these ads.

Should emphasize, I am talking about the those ads for insurance, girls and what ever else at the top of the thread pages - NOT the images advertising Model Railroading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in a nutshell, those ads are part of what keeps the Forums free. The ads are generally targeted by the sites you visit. I get a lot of political ads and ads for welders and machine tools. Sometimes they're worthwhile, sometimes not.

Activate the Add Blocker on your browser.

Yes. The top tool bar in Internet Explorer has a drop down marked TOOLS. From the drop down, mouse over Pop Up Blocker and then click on Turn On Pop Up Blocker. This will make it apply to all web sites. With IE you can turn it on or off at any time. There are some web sites where the pop ups are only relevant to the site content and are actually informative.

At one time I was on a forum that some members wanted to make it a subscription membership to eliminate the paid ads popping up. It lasted about 3 months before the moderators could no longer afford to keep it going.

I belong to a forum that has two memberships: free and paid. Free memberships have limited amount of space to post photos and files, get all the ads, and lack access to a few features.
Paid memberships have limited ads, unlimited file space, and can access the premium spots.
I don't think the forum here has enough traffic to make the paid membership pay for itself.

Hey Tony,

I am running Windows 7 home edition, service pack 1 with internet explorer 11.03 I have the pop up blocker enabled and I don't get any adds other then the banner at the top of the thread.

It's like broadcast TV the trade off for being free is advertisements.

The ad banner at the top of the page doesn't bother me. The ads that bug me are the green words in the text of a post. If your cursor happens to pass over that word, an ad opens.

Steve S

A friend who is on the forum, got a new computer, and that was a big problem for him until I downloaded Ad Block off of cnet.com for him. Now he no longer has the green words, or extra ads. There are 2 versions, a free and a paid. I downloaded the free version. I have it too.

The green words go away when I sign in and I think that is how that is supposed to work.

The ad banner at the top of the page doesn't bother me. The ads that bug me are the green words in the text of a post. If your cursor happens to pass over that word, an ad opens.

Steve S

I haven't had a problem with green words, but I imagine they would be just as annoying, if not more so.

To clarify again, it is the Banners that annoy me, especially when they are all completely irrelevant to me. I have my insurance and don't go searching for it, and I am happily married and am definitely not in need of a girl, Asian or otherwise.

Steve S

Does your browser have any kind of search bar that is not for the browser? Something like google, Yahoo, Ask.com, etc? If you are using these addition browser toolbars, there is nothing you can do about it. Otherwise it's just "hot link" that you can usually turn off with customized settings for your browser.

You guys are all having simple to resolve problems. Stop installing additional software when you install a piece of software you do want. That "green highlight" on text - that is one of the most annoying addons I have ever seen. It is installed as a browser addon. More than likely with a toolbar. I wish I could type all caps here... Do not install toolbars. Do not install toolbars. Not even if Bill freakin Gates calls you and asks you to. Not even if you are promised free medical insurance for doing so. They are bad, bad, bad.

In other words, when installing an update to Adobe Acrobat... uncheck the freakin box that wants you to install McAfee virus protection. Or anything else. Don't do the "typical" or "full" install unless you look to see what is being installed. A lot of software companies are making money by sneaking additional software installs in with their software. Read carefully when installing. Uncheck all the free toolbars and useless software. If you have these toolbars installed... Get rid of them!!! I cannot stress this enough.

And quit using Internet Explorer. I have been using the internet since there was no internet. It was called a bulletin board when I started. So trust me... I have learned from experience.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Yeah... I typed that on my phone! ^^^

I agree with NScaler. Stop using IE. I use Firefox at home and Chrome at work. FF is so much better than the other two, IMO.

I too agree with NScaler. I use Firefox and turn on AdBlocker and get no ads at all. I also agree about the toolbars, get rid of them.
willie

It may not be the seach bar doing it. It may be some other addon you have installed.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I run XP and use only the Firefox browser. "the green words in the text of a post." is something I have yet to see especially on this site. If you download and use free applications it's quit possible that is where your adds are coming from. The forum is clean of pop ups and it's a rare occasion when spam get's through. The Admin has put a lot of money, programming and work into keeping it that way and the only source of revenue is from the adds at the top of the pages. Please click on them once in a while and visit the advertisers site for a few moments.
Cheers and Y'all have a great RR day :D
Willis

It's still better than what they now do on youtube with those yellowbar ad slots. They are becoming more and more aggressive. Then again, something has to pay the bills. "Monetize or Die".

The ads on the top of this site are all relative to your browsing history. My ads show CNC machines, manufacturing equipment, computer related stuff, etc. Every once in awhile I see some ads that I have no idea where they came from. But I have other people using my PC sometimes.

The ad I see is a website that offers free MalWare removal from sparktrust.com. I feel so privileged...

SURE! (voice of Sam Kinison) I can trust you. Oh, and here's the keys to my car too.

Back