Andy Harman

River Run

Diesel Detailer
I really like Andy Harman's website gp30.com on modeling Norfolk & Western diesels. I have noticed his website has not been updated in almost 2 years. Did he drop out of the hobby?

Far from it. He's pretty active on the Atlas HO forum, his own discussion lists and Jim Six's RPM forum. I think 2 years may be about the time he and his significant other began dating.

I found his website and now I have SD-45s, SD-35, GP-30, and 2 U30bs in the works. He got me all motivated!

Actually after 48+ years in the hobby, I'm not about to give it up. Now updating web sites....well, that's another story. I do have a few new finished models that aren't up on my models page yet. I think the most recent update to the page is the third Galaxie project page which is from Sept 07.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw1349/nw1349-001.jpg - not that recent but doesn't have a good link to it. I finally get a decent digital camera (May 06) and I've hardly done any web updates since.

As for my new significant other, that has been exactly one year as of this weekend!

Actually my ears weren't burning, somebody on another list alerted me. At least my name is spelled right! :)

Andy

Thanks for answering Andy, you inspired me to take Xacto in hand and get back into modifying locomotives. You do great work and I can't wait to see some updates on your website! Nice GP-40 by the way. :)

Thanks for answering Andy, you inspired me to take Xacto in hand and get back into modifying locomotives. You do great work and I can't wait to see some updates on your website! Nice GP-40 by the way. :)

I'm glad to see the art of kitbashing is alive and well. Used to be those of us who couldn't afford brass kitbashed, then we did it just because we loved to do it (and it often produced a better model than brass)... now a new generation may do it because we can't afford RTR plastic... LOL... but seriously, there's some fairly decent N&W RTR out there, but I'd still rather give it a personal touch. The Proto high nose GP30 is particularly nice.

Andy

Welcome aboard Andy!

You've got some might impressive models there, I can see what Randy wanted to know if you're still around.

Well...I'm no youngster, I've been a model railroader since Eisenhower was in the White House. I've got a whole box full of kitbashed locomotives around here someplace.

Well...I'm no youngster, I've been a model railroader since Eisenhower was in the White House. I've got a whole box full of kitbashed locomotives around here someplace.

Well I guess I go back to Ike as well, although the memory is a little foggy. I don't remember my first contact with model trains, but my parents tell me I was 2 at the time. So that definitely places it in the final year of the Eisenhower administration.

So I have been an HO scale model railroader since 1959 if not in the womb. I built my first kitbashed high nose diesel in the winter/spring of 1974.

Andy

Oh, I'm not saying that! I was just commenting on Andy's fine work!

I definitely cannot say much for length in the hobby, after all I'm only 23.

I don't remember my first contact with model trains, but my parents tell me I was 2 at the time. So that definitely places it in the final year of the Eisenhower administration.

So I have been an HO scale model railroader since 1959 if not in the womb. I built my first kitbashed high nose diesel in the winter/spring of 1974.

Andy

Awww, you're just a kid. Some guy named Truman was in office the year I was born. Back in 59 I was like Gomez Adams.... Cornfield meets with my O Scale stuff. Until my Dad heard a crash and uh....... Made me think better of it.:rolleyes: ;) :D

Gee Truman was in when I was born too. My earliest memories of playing with trains was an old O scale that smelled of ozone when it started up and sometimes blew a fuse . Which didn't make my father to happy !!!

Yep, I just turned 62 yesterday so now I'm officially ol. :) Truman had been in office for about a year and half when it was born. It doesn't really seem that long ago but I guess it is.

Andy, I've never seen your work before but it really looks good. Seems like it's a good thing you've already built up a nice fleet since that Galaxie looks like it going to be taking up a lot your time. :eek:

Andy, I've never seen your work before but it really looks good. Seems like it's a good thing you've already built up a nice fleet since that Galaxie looks like it going to be taking up a lot your time. :eek:

Well that's the nice thing about it, I can work on it at my leisure. Same as the fleet I suppose. The big thing right now is getting some foundation work done on the house to stabilize things, and then I can proceed with confidence on finishing the basement for the real layout. Although after I'm done paying for the foundation work, I probably won't be able to afford two pieces of wood to nail together...

Andy

Back