An Eastern CA Desert Line.

Jeffrey

I base my modeling on the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge, although most of it is not NG. I am strongly influenced by the desert lines of the SP, and other small regional roads. The scenery and structures are mainly what interested me, although I accurately modeled the SPNG equipment as well. Some of you may remember the article I wrote that appeared in the August '97 Model Railroader magazine. Thanks for looking.

The Inyo & White Mountain Railroad.

Can't say I remember your article, but that is a nice layout. Too much Hot Water for my modern tastes, but very well done.

In the picture "Downtown1" there is a jeep in the background. Did you write a thread about custom building that jeep maybe on another site about two years ago?

I like your backgrounds showing Owens Lake off in the distance. Very nice job. The ony thing I didn't see is the perpetually white-capped White Mountains.

Thanks, Chip. No, the jeep is just a plastic vehicle, nothing special. I just wanted to have a 4x4 in there somewhere.

UP2CSX, the White Mtns are not always white capped. Only in the winter months. I stay up there a lot.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm a big fan of your layout and model a nearly identical theme! I cannot wait to see more of your layout and how it grew since the articles, SHARE photos and insight on your layout please!

Jeffrey, I got it wrong, I meant the Sierra Mountains, on the west side of the valley. I spent a year in Lone Pine and I don't think I ever saw the peaks around Mt Whitney without some snow. This is a picture I took of the Sierras from Highway 6 just outside of Benton looking towards the Sierra last year. It was June and there was still a lot of snow.
InyoMtns.jpg

It just doesn't look right to me to model Owens Lake without having Mt. Whitney and the whole Sierra range in the background. Just my two cents, I guess it coud be a dry year without much snow on your layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the plants I see around , very realistic, I'm still tryng to learn to make decent desert plants. Yuccas are really difficult.

Back