An attempt at Painting

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Okay - bit the bullet and thought I'd give repainting some old rolling stock I had - a Box Car and Covered Gondola/Grain Car (I think).

Here is what I started with:

YuoVESY.jpg

9Tqg67D.jpg

Here is where I am at the moment:

Jd1CbjS.jpg

Maroon for the Box car with a Gun Metal Underside.

8r2Z4JM.jpg

Silver Leaf as a backing coat for Dark Metallic Blue to go over it in due course.

I know they are not as good as some peoples work - I just thought I'd give it a try and see what happened :)

Okay, gave it a go using what I had, including old decals from a past railway:

iw8zJjV.jpg

So now I am going back to do the things I can actually do, well, things I can do better (much better) than this :(
Nicely done Tony, I like that, although a tad shiny, I assume a coat or two of dull coat is in the works

Thanks Chris and yeah it is a bit shiny. The actual color is Tamiya TS Dark Mica Blue hence the really shiny bits in it - the flash didn't do anything for it either. The decal were ones I had left over from a previous Rail Road I had and just don't fit at all :)

The two stripes are Silver Leaf and came out crisp if not exactly parallel :) Maybe the next one I try might be better - might use "less shiny paint as well. The Box Car came out well though - bit hard to screw up a single color on a box though :)

Thanks Chris and yeah it is a bit shiny. The actual color is Tamiya TS Dark Mica Blue hence the really shiny bits in it - the flash didn't do anything for it either. The decal were ones I had left over from a previous Rail Road I had and just don't fit at all :)

The two stripes are Silver Leaf and came out crisp if not exactly parallel :) Maybe the next one I try might be better - might use "less shiny paint as well. The Box Car came out well though - bit hard to screw up a single color on a box though :)
Ah ok, thought it might have been the flash but wasn't sure, you could of course try some weathering before the dull coat, oops, sorry forgot this isn't the "give Tony grief thread" 🤣

Saying that I need to revive that thread,:D

Yeah okay - your right, I need to do something on my layout and get "that thread" back up and running again I suppose :)
You still have a lot to do beforehand, clearing the basement might be the easiest start, and give you space you need to work in, especially if your going to build the "Rope Bridge"

I might need that bridge to get in to clear the room out :) My biggest problem at the moment is getting the sub road bed in place - well getting it mapped to be cut to get in in place.

I might need that bridge to get in to clear the room out :) My biggest problem at the moment is getting the sub road bed in place - well getting it mapped to be cut to get in in place.
True, but once the initial work has been done, it kinda get's easier I find.

To be honest - I just have to get motivated to forget everything else and just start dragging things out and sorting other things that I want to keep.

The main problem is where to put all the crap I need to get rid of. Our garbage guy is only allowed to take 3 rubbish bags per week and the local dump is ridiculously expensive :( I could burn a lot of what I have to get rid of I think - depends on our burn bans and if hey are over.

I think I may have gotten a bad can of Dullcote too. It is spraying very thick and leaving a white cloudy finish unlike I have ever seen from it before. It sure doesn't seem to want to Dull anything down either. The BLUE side of the car was sprayed with dullcote after the decal went on so not sure what is happening.

Not blaming the dullcote for the pee poor job, just doesn't help it at all though :(

I think I may have gotten a bad can of Dullcote too. It is spraying very thick and leaving a white cloudy finish unlike I have ever seen from it before. It sure doesn't seem to want to Dull anything down either. The BLUE side of the car was sprayed with dullcote after the decal went on so not sure what is happening.

Not blaming the dullcote for the pee poor job, just doesn't help it at all though :(
I've replied in the other thread about this, but dull coat being thick and cloudy, I don't use spray bombs, but it doesn't sound normal.

've replied in the other thread about this, but dull coat being thick and cloudy, I don't use spray bombs, but it doesn't sound normal.
Not to me either. Usually dullcote sprays very finely and settles very nicely then dries fairly quickly. This can did none of that - thick, obviously white cloudy appearance then ran down the side of the car instead of sticking to it. All in all - definitely not right from my experience with dullcote.

Not to me either. Usually dullcote sprays very finely and settles very nicely then dries fairly quickly. This can did none of that - thick, obviously white cloudy appearance then ran down the side of the car instead of sticking to it. All in all - definitely not right from my experience with dullcote.
I'd throw the can, I much rather use dullcote with an airbrush, at least then I can see beforehand if there's a problem.
My old cheap Chinese airbrush is now dedicated to dullcote duty.

sounds like the can sat on a shelf for many years, which I think happens. I try to pick the freshest paint can but sometimes is hard to tell.

bummer.

Dave

Tend to agree with you Dave. A bit hard when you need to order the stuff on line - you don't get to check anything, another problem with online buying unfortunately.

I also checked for Use By Dates - butthere doesn't appear to be any. Stuff stamped on the bottom of the cans BUT, all over lapping making it impossible to read anything - wonderful!

This is one out of a 6 can batch I bought earlier this year. Looks like the lot will be in the garbage and I'll just buy Krylon Matte Clear or similar. Dullcote was so good BEFORE rustoleum got hold of it :(

Tend to agree with you Dave. A bit hard when you need to order the stuff on line - you don't get to check anything, another problem with online buying unfortunately.

I also checked for Use By Dates - butthere doesn't appear to be any. Stuff stamped on the bottom of the cans BUT, all over lapping making it impossible to read anything - wonderful!

This is one out of a 6 can batch I bought earlier this year. Looks like the lot will be in the garbage and I'll just buy Krylon Matte Clear or similar. Dullcote was so good BEFORE rustoleum got hold of it :(
I've found Tamiya Flat Clear very good, TomO suggested it and is what he uses, so if he does, I'm happy to follow his lead.

I really like Tamiya Sprays - they are true to color and well, are obtainable :)

Looks as though I will be ordering me a few cans as you suggested and will just dump the damn rustoleum.

Back