Amtrak

The hardest part seems to be determining what Amtrak model is correct for the actual train your modeling. I would like to throw a modern Empire Builder together but I have no idea which cars and locos are correct and which company (walthers, athearn, ect.) makes the correct car.

issue

That is the same issues I have been having. I know what I want to model but I am unsure of the amount or type of cars I need and also unsure if I have the correct engine for that train.
I want to model a sweet Amtrak train using all superliner cars. I recently started my purchasing to make the train and when I purchased the engine I had doubt wheather I got the right one or not. I purchased these two cars to start with. If anyone can take a look at these and make sure I have the correct start on the train would be awesome.

-Athearn HO RTR AMD103/P42DC, Amtrak #13 ATH91573
-Athearn HO RTR Streamlined Baggage, Amtrak/Phase IV

I think I want all my cars to be Phase IV. I have been doing alot of research but I have been finding that research for Amtrak is a little tricky. I may have to take a run to the local Amtrak station 2 hours away and see what is out there running.

Eric

Eric,

The "Phase" you use determines what era your modeling. The latest is Phase V, which is sometimes referred to as Phase IVb by some modelers and manufacturers. If your trying to model the modern day, this is the phase you want. If your shooting for late 90s, early 2000s, Phase IV. Kato made some superliners in Phase III to go with its F40PHs it released a few years ago. Walthers produced alot of Phase II Amfleet cars over the years. The Phase V/IVb cars are harder to find. In fact, I believe only Bachmann made the Phase V (IVb) Amfleet cars.

I also think that only Walthers made the Phase IV and IVb Superliner I/II cars. They are very sharp, with polished aluminum finish and while MRSP is like $53, you can find them for $35. I dont have any of them right now, but they are on my wishlist for one day. The major difference between a Walthers Phase IV Superliner coach and a IVb coach is the "Amtrak" logo is by the door on the Phase IVb. There are some minor differences between the Superliner I and II cars on the prototype like its disabled-person friendly and the door is a little different, etc.

Also, both in the prototype and in HO modeling, only some Phase IV cars are available and are run. For example, I have yet to see a Phase V or IVb baggage car in prototype or HO, and what is out there, is somewhat hard to find. Good news for you though, is that the Phase IV/IVb Superliner Baggage cars(which youve already acquired) are available.

It looks to me like your heading down the right path. Enjoy!

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

Brad,
You have just given me alot of information that is VERY handy. I sort of understood the Phases they refer to when talking abo9ut the cars but you gave me some good timelines for those Phases. I know what I am looking for now. I am gonna make a good 2 engine (P42) and about 10 to 12 cars (undecided right now on what types of cars). The layout for my current club will allow this amount of cars to be run with no issues. I cant wait to get the train at the house and making plans from that point. Once again thanks for the info.

Eric

Here is a good link on Amtrak Paint Phases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_paint_schemes

To start off a typical Amtrak Superliner Consist I would recomend the following cars.

1 Baggage
3 Coaches
1 Diner
1 Lounge
3 Sleepers

That would be a typical consist seen almost everywhere, you can then add cars to model specific trains. You would want at least 1 transistion coach or sleeper which is next to the baggage car.

more information

Guys keep this type of info coming. I am wearing out my printer printing all this stuff and researching the color schemes. My engine and baggage car is labeled as a Phase IV and according to the last link posted this is true. The only think I cannot figure out now is my engine number is 13 and it has a grey looking roof that stops above the front windows. I have seen engine that continue this grey paint all the way down on the front of the engie t just above the red stripe for the IV scheme. I havent been ab le to find out any info on my engine and this specific scheme.

Eric

A couple other things to think about...
- Amtrak train length fluctuates sometimes. Right now it's peak holiday travel season and some trains have extra cars.
- The California in-state routes have a different paint scheme. This may also be true for some of the other state supported routes.
- Your local Amtrak station should have some glossy promotional booklets that have pictures of various Amtrak trains going through some very pretty scenery. The "Amtrak America" booklet in particular has a couple pages of photos on each train.

I appreciate the information. Right now from the research I have done I am going with the Phase IV paint scheme and to start with I am gonna put together a smaller 1 level train (not superliner cars). I will eventually get all 10 or 12 Superliners as well. I will pick that up when I am in Afghanistan. That is also the time I get my BigBoy Steamer and some more nicer train stuff as well. I will have money to burn while I am over there.

Eric

Phase IV was used in the 80s up to about the early 2000s. Phase III was used up to the mid 2000s on cars only.

I'm not sure which line or time period you are modeling, but in present day, most of the Amfleet 1s (with doors on each end) are used on the Northeast Corridor, while the long distance route use Amfleet 2s and Horizon (Bombardier Comet II) cars.

Amtrak California uses their own paint scheme of engines and superliners for the cars paid for by the state of California. However, equipment from normal Amtrak sometimes makes there way over there. Amtrak California equipment is made in HO scale.

The Amtrak Surfliner uses F59PHIs and superliners, and has a unique paint scheme on their equipment, as does the Cascades service.

The Surfliner cars are made in HO scale, but the Cascades service uses an F59PHI, a 12-14 car Talgo Pendular trainset, and an NPCU (Non-Powered Cab unit which is a gutted F40PH). Only the F59PHI is made in HO scale for the Cascades service.

stuff came in

WWent tp the front door today and found 3 boxes at the frot door. My Athearn Dash9-40CW Norfolk Southern engine came in. My Athearn Amtrak P42 and Athearn baggage car came in. When I opened them my mouth hit the floor!!! I found out I bought a Phase IV baggage car and a Phase 3 engine. I will be running to different generations for a little while. I also just bought 3 more Phase IV cars as well. Can wait to get the train together but I was so made about the miss matched engine.

Eric

Phase IV was used in the 80s up to about the early 2000s. Phase III was used up to the mid 2000s on cars only.

Phase 3 was the one in the 80's to 2000's, Phase 4 started around 92,93 and since then upgraded to Phase 4b with some added reflective striping. Most of the current cars are in IVb and some are in Phase V but not many.

There are still some Amfleets in Phase V/Capstone? I thought those were all gone. I've seen Phase IV equipment still running around (not on the corridor). Doesn't Amtrak have to keep at least one car from every paint scheme in service to retain the rights to the paint schemes?

There are still some Amfleets in Phase V/Capstone? I thought those were all gone. I've seen Phase IV equipment still running around (not on the corridor). Doesn't Amtrak have to keep at least one car from every paint scheme in service to retain the rights to the paint schemes?

I think the only phase V equip that might be found is a few baggage cars but the coaches are pretty much in IV and IVb. As for keeping an item in every paint scheme, I dont think they have to have anything painted to have the rights to the scheme. I doubt amtrak has any Phase 1 or 2 schemes anywhere but I could be wrong.

WWent tp the front door today and found 3 boxes at the frot door. My Athearn Dash9-40CW Norfolk Southern engine came in. My Athearn Amtrak P42 and Athearn baggage car came in. When I opened them my mouth hit the floor!!! I found out I bought a Phase IV baggage car and a Phase 3 engine. I will be running to different generations for a little while. I also just bought 3 more Phase IV cars as well. Can wait to get the train together but I was so made about the miss matched engine.
Eric

Don't worry too much - it's not like Amtrak instantaneously repaints all its engines and cars when it changes it paint schemes. You can just model one of the transition years.

I came late to this so I won't repeat what has already been listed, but I made a post on another train forum showing the standard paint schemes applied to Amtrak passenger cars. I covered the basic schemes, no Surfliner, Cascades, Acela, and other regional oddities.

Here is the link:

Amtrak paint schemes (phase I - IVb)

Hopefully this will help you out as I also give the years these schemes were in use.

That's ok....your unit has just dodged the paintbooth, that's all.

If you're buying a P42DC, a bag, and coaches, i'm going to assume you are trying to model the Carolinian? If so, your consist would be P42DC-bag-business class-cafe-coach-coach-coach and possibly another coach.

Eric

No 1 or 2, but there is still, from what i have been told, 1 each of 3, 4, and Metroliner. The 4 and Metroliner i have seen in the last 6 months. The phase 3 I last saw early last year. I have been told there is no in-service equipment in phase V. The baggage cars that got V have been retired.

I think the only phase V equip that might be found is a few baggage cars but the coaches are pretty much in IV and IVb. As for keeping an item in every paint scheme, I dont think they have to have anything painted to have the rights to the scheme. I doubt amtrak has any Phase 1 or 2 schemes anywhere but I could be wrong.

No 1 or 2, but there is still, from what i have been told, 1 each of 3, 4, and Metroliner. The 4 and Metroliner i have seen in the last 6 months. The phase 3 I last saw early last year. I have been told there is no in-service equipment in phase V. The baggage cars that got V have been retired.

I haven't seen non of the cabbages in service out here in California in Phase V yet? But I'm not to certain, Yesterday while waiting for my girl (who drives for LACMTA) I seen 2 Superliners in Phase 3 scheme at L.A. Union Station. I couldn't seen the numbers tho on it.

phase issues

I think I will be ok running my set up. That is if wholesaletrains.com will get off their butt and send me my items. I purchased these items from them:

1 Amtrak, Phase IV Streamlined Coach, Athearn ATH7904 - $14.99
1 Amtrak, Phase IV Streamlined Vista Dome, Athearn ATH7903 - $14.99
1 Amtrak, Phase IV Streamlined Dining Car, Athearn ATH7902 - $14.99

I have been told that they were not open over the weekend and not they show the items in stock. I have further been told that it takes another 4 to 5 days to get the items from their vendors and then another 4 to 5 days to get them shipped out to me. They need to put this on the website cause now I am not sure if I will get the cars before I leave for Afghanistan on the 14th of Jan.

Eric

Phase IV is my favorite paint scheme honsetly. My fleet is gonna be stuck in Phase IV for years lol since that is the last time the EMD F40PH's were still doing there long hauls

Back