Amtrak metroliner cab car converstion

NVSrr1500

Curious if anybody converted the bachamnn metroliner to a cab car. I am ebarking on that using a white box unpowered metroliner. And a 3d printed cab. Wondering if anybody had done that? Issues one ran into?
shane

I haven't done it myself, although i was thinking about it long time ago when doing early 90s Amtrak. Instead of messing around with printing the Metroliner end, you can find an unpowered Metroliner unit at a train show. It would be a lot easier to do one then, especially considering that original Metroliners had completely different trucks from later Amfleet coaches;
IMG_20240306_123235768.jpg
In the first picture is a typical Amfleet (Amcafee in this case). The trucks on these are inside bearing trucks. Next is a cab car right behind the Sprinter electric:
IMG_20240306_123221673.jpg

Look carefully and you will notice stainless steel rails on one end of the roof of the cab cars, that's where the pantographs used to be mounted-another difference between Amfleet and Metro cars. Look more carefully and you will see different style bracing on the end walls between two different cars. Details under neath are different i'm sure, but you will have to reference better pictures from the internet. There used to be decals with tiger stripes available for the cab cars from Micro Scale, but they require some searching (wonder if i have those in my colection). Good luck and if you live in Northeast, they are fairly easy to photograph on numerous rail stops along Keystone Corridor, especially Lancaster station, as the "Keystones" tend to make longer stops there. Harrisburg station is overrun by fashist Amtrak Police and it might be difficult to grab some pictures at that place. My pictures are actually in Port Chester, NY, which was a surprise to me that day, since they normally don't place cab cars in Northeast Direct trains.

Back