Amtrak Herritage units

LATX

I don't know honsetly if everyone on here is a member of the HO Yardsale group. But today i check my email and got a digest of HO locos for sale. and this one caught my attention on the most redicouis price i have ever seen. but this is goin for 300 you tell me if its worth it. i honsetly feel its a hell no IMHO.

The seller does some amazing work. $300, not for me, but that is a running price for work like that, when commissioned, for some painters on the market.

I can do it for a whole lot less if you want one...

I wouldnt pay that price either, but from the looks of the listing, it looks like its coming from Germany and he included shipping in that price. That alone can be pricey. FYI...

Maybe half the asking price is reasonable. I would have to see more then just one picture to shell out that kind of cash but there are those that NEED to be the first to have something and will spend whatever it costs. Just look at some of the weathered cars selling in Ebay. Just from a quick look at the pic it doesnt even look like a clean seperation line between the red and black on the nose and there are a few items not painted the proper colors and some details missing. I am sure Athearn or Walthers will make the unit eventually for those that want it.

Yes, this model screams 'Future Athearn/Walthers Heritage Unit.' Personally I dont want this model, but I dig the retro paint scheme; very old school, at least for Amtrak.

Anyhow, if anyone out there wants one, Id bet Athearn/Walthers does it next time around they announce another realease of P42/AMD103s.

Would have looked better if he painted the MU door area too. Compare the real version. Overall it still looks good.

1220460808_Nd4qH-L-1.jpg

The seller does some amazing work. $300, not for me, but that is a running price for work like that, when commissioned, for some painters on the market.

I can do it for a whole lot less if you want one...

I may take you up on that :D

Maybe sometime in the future though. I need to get my Pan Am fleet all detailed up first.

Also, I've read something on the Amtrak site (I don't remember where it was) that the touring exhibit train will have a gift shop featuring exclusive Amtrak collectibles made for Amtrak by Walthers. I have my fingers crossed and I'm hoping that it will be P42DCs or at least an F40PH in the commemorative schemes.

I may take you up on that :D

Maybe sometime in the future though. I need to get my Pan Am fleet all detailed up first.

Also, I've read something on the Amtrak site (I don't remember where it was) that the touring exhibit train will have a gift shop featuring exclusive Amtrak collectibles made for Amtrak by Walthers. I have my fingers crossed and I'm hoping that it will be P42DCs or at least an F40PH in the commemorative schemes.

I feel you on that especailly for national train day coming within 2 months,

for the money I'd expect a lot of added details not just an unweathered paint job. As for the price for a true custom detailed and painted unit 200-400 is well with in reason.

Perhaps he's asking a little too much for his work, but who are any of us to judge?

I'm thinking the decals were custom made. Also, think of how much a powered Athearn P42 is in Germany. Probably close to $150 once you get it shipped. The seperation lines between the paint seem pretty good to me. (On par with stock Athearn RTR paint jobs.)

Also, how many hours went into painting the unit?

I think, also, it's harder to sell a weathered loco to the mass market. And, for reference, the prototype photo shows a wicked-clean unit.

I offered to paint and weather a MoPac GP9 for $75 plus cost of paint and I never heard back from the potential client. Seems like people want a "DEAL" on everything. You can either do it yourself, or bite the bullet and pay for the convenience and ease of having it done for you.

Just my $0.02

ok let me clearfly what i was sayiing, I as a builder feel that the starting asking price of 300 for this unit was a llittle extreme for all the extra work you as the buyer will still have to do the details, I.e. lights and super details. I just feel if you going to do a locomotive do it right, but anyway it sold for $415 dollars so im pretty sure someone got what they wanted

ok let me clearfly what i was sayiing, I as a builder feel that the starting asking price of 300 for this unit was a llittle extreme for all the extra work you as the buyer will still have to do the details, I.e. lights and super details. I just feel if you going to do a locomotive do it right, but anyway it sold for $415 dollars so im pretty sure someone got what they wanted

True, no doubt the buyer was a collector, and the locomotive will possibly never see a working layout. After all, right now it is a "One of a Kind".

The engine is not one of a kind. Its just the first one that made it on ebay. I have seen 4 others paint that engine plus I am in the process of making all of the engines.

Back