Amtrak #371 Chicago Crash

Bill Tidler Jr.

Retired NS Signal Construction Gang Signalman
Amtrak #371 Chicago Crash

Amtrak #371 Chicago Crash November 30, 2007 on the NS

Investigators: Amtrak Train Was Speeding

Dec 3, 12:42 AM (ET)

By SOPHIA TAREEN

CHICAGO (AP) - An Amtrak train was going about 25 mph over the speed limit - despite a signal indicating another train was on the same track - moments before it hit a stationary freight train, injuring dozens of people, federal officials said Sunday.

The Amtrak train's engineer told investigators he realized the speed limit was 15 mph in that stretch of track but accelerated to 40 mph anyway, National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Robert Sumwalt told reporters.

The speed limit on that portion of track, which is usually 79 mph, had been reduced to 15 mph by a red and yellow "restricting signal," indicating another train was on the track, the official said.

Moments after accelerating, the engineer noticed the freight train ahead and applied his emergency brakes; the passenger train then skidded about 400 to 500 feet and slammed into the freight train at about 35 mph, Sumwalt said.

Sumwalt declined to assess blame or say human error caused Friday's accident, and he did not say why the engineer might have been speeding.

"Part of our investigation is to figure out why that signal (indicating the 15 mph limit) was not obeyed," Sumwalt said.

Federal authorities on Sunday wrapped up two days of investigations, which included interviews with crew members and reviews of data from event recorders, as they tried to determine why two trains ended up on the same track.

LINK TO FULL STORY: Investigators: Amtrak Train Was Speeding

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to understand why an engineer would accelerate in the face of what I assume was a red over yellow signal. It's so ingrained into engineers that a red over yellow means they are going to have to stop ahead that accelerating is almost unbelievable. There must be more to this story.

Hard to understand why an engineer would accelerate in the face of what I assume was a red over yellow signal. It's so ingrained into engineers that a red over yellow means they are going to have to stop ahead that accelerating is almost unbelievable. There must be more to this story.
Maybe he though he was driving his car up to an upside down stoplight? :rolleyes:

Train Wreck

In 1975 when they still had firemen on Amtrak trains I was working as one on the Hudson's Albany to Harmon run. We were still 5 miles out side of Harmon when we got an Yellow over Red. Approach (Proceed at 30 mph preparing to stop at next signal). The engineer slowed down to only to about 45 mph. I said, "we just went by an Approach". He said, "If they want these trains to run on time I'll just have to cheat a little". As we went by the signal there was a blue car parked in the weeds. I thought didn't I see that same car in one of the yards garages last week. Then I thought radar. I told the engineer we just got caught by radar. He said, "your crazy". When we arrived at Harmon they told us to report to the road forman's office. We both got 10 days off and a good cewing out. He said, "I was just trying to make up time".

NYC_George

Back