Along time ago in MR?

joem5127

A long time ago, I'm thinking early '70's I remember an article that was about some Santa Fe street trackage in an industrial area. Just about all the trackage was in the pavement of the streets. The article had a number of pictures, all of them black and white I think. I think it was part of the railroad you can model series they use to frequently run back then. Any one remember this? My MR collection starts about 1971 but I can't find it and am starting to question my sanity!:confused:

My faint recollection is that it was about the Santa Fe's once extensive street trackage in Los Angeles. Try the MR site and look in the index for Santa Fe and street running and see if you get a hit.

Jim,
Thanks for the idea. I did a search for everthing I could think of unfortunently it looks like the the online archive only goes back to the mid '90's and I know this was before then.

You might ask this same question on the MR site. I'm almost certain there is a printed index that goes back to the 60's that you can buy.

Did you check out http://index.mrmag.com/ ? The site says "An index to Model Railroad magazines from 1933 to the present." I didn't get any hits on ATSF + street, but you might want to check out John Pryke's series on the Union Freight HO layout which featured in-street trackage. It ran in the September through November 2000 MR.

I wish I did. I donated all my MR's back to about 1965 to our library before I moved from California because I didn't think I'd ever build another layout. Dang! They do show up on e-bay all the time so you should check there. Train shows are also an excellent place to pick up old MR's for almost nothing. As you can tell if you've seen my photos, I'm a big fan of street running so I hope you find it. Those older issues of MR tended to have a lot more meat to their articles than the Rod Stewart version of MR today. :(

Is it possible that you're thinking of The Los Angeles Junction Railway? That was in the March '96 MR. It was also in Railroad Modeler, December 1976.

an article that was about some Santa Fe street trackage in an industrial area.
I know I have two copies of 1969 and one of 1967, but I don't think I have 1968. I'll check my stacks. I do think I've read the article and I thought the prototype was in Englewood or Littleton CO.

gandydancer,
look through your stack and let me know what you find. I was thinking the area was part of the China Basen of Los Angelas, but I could be wrong about that, it was a long time ago that i read the artical.:eek:

Unless I've really lost my mind, China Basin is in San Francisco. It was served by the State Belt Railroad until service ceased in 1993.

I'm not a member either but I can view it, just can't look at the pics full size. :confused: Follow the link and let it sit on the "your not member screen" for a min and it let me view it.

Back