All in perspective..

I don't recall ever hearing the expression "go big or go home" but think I've internalized a similar feeling of pressure which might be said as "be perfect or go home." I read many threads and heard a lot of chatter about using only the finest-quality wood for benchwork, only high-priced [or hand-laid] turnouts, only locos from the top four "elite" manufacturers - sound-equipped of course. And, Heaven forbid I should ever have a derailment during an op session!

With my tight financial priorities, I had to use whatever resources I could get to build my benchwork, including construction leftovers. I've had to use mostly Atlas turnouts because I could get two of those for the price of one Peco. And only 4 or 5 of my locos have sound decoders in them.

At least I can say that while my benchwork isn't "purty", it's plenty strong and stable; I do have an occasional derailment, but at least those are rare; and my engines all run nicely even though they don't have sound. As long as I don't compare my layout to the ones that appear in Model Railroader, I can be quite content with what I have.

Go big is fine. It's the 'or go home' that's the problem. ...

That sums it all up nicely.

That is a nice looking piece of motive power, Louis.... .

Thank you DSD I love it. Over a year ago I asked about the Lionel versions of the Gold Chessie because I had the Lionel O gauge GP7 and was interested in the Lionel HO GP9 version. One of the big dogs, a super star modeler told me to forget about Lionel and buy that Athearn. Apparently Lionel is junk, to some people. I have the Lionel HO versions and even a Model Power N scale version. The O gauge is still my favorite, but I love them all.

I don't recall ever hearing the expression "go big or go home" but think I've internalized a similar feeling of pressure which might be said as "be perfect or go home." I read many threads and heard a lot of chatter about using only the finest-quality wood for benchwork, only high-priced [or hand-laid] turnouts, only locos from the top four "elite" manufacturers - sound-equipped of course. And, Heaven forbid I should ever have a derailment during an op session!

With my tight financial priorities, I had to use whatever resources I could get to build my benchwork, including construction leftovers. I've had to use mostly Atlas turnouts because I could get two of those for the price of one Peco. And only 4 or 5 of my locos have sound decoders in them.

At least I can say that while my benchwork isn't "purty", it's plenty strong and stable; I do have an occasional derailment, but at least those are rare; and my engines all run nicely even though they don't have sound. As long as I don't compare my layout to the ones that appear in Model Railroader, I can be quite content with what I have.
Agree, though they're two separate and both unfortunate dynamics, when followed by "or..."

There's a fine line between studying and emulating the best out there and "you're not worthy"... especially when being the best equates to spending the most... though in fairness many of the top guys I use as inspiration work with relatively cheap stuff. (Maybe why I chose them to emulate)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does make things a lot easier sometimes to have a smaller layout, mainly to hone your skills. When I started I did have a definite plan, though not put down on paper. (My memory was a lot better back then) The layout is mostly along the wall, from 24 up to 39 inches deep, with one peninsula. over a period of over 25 years, the layout slowly progressed to where it is now. It was slowed by not having any hobby shops at all in my area, but what I learned from the beginning until now sure helped. When I get the last yard and town finished, it will then be time to upgrade older parts of the layout with techniques learned from the starting. A layout is never complete, but I am glad that I am not overwhelmed with a spaghetti bowl of track to maintain. With less track, I ended up having a lot more room for industries and other scenery features.

Sure is nice when a plan works out.
"Over a period of 25 years" is a critical element of that. I've never lived in the same house for more than 5... and critically, a lot of folks entering the hobby are not yet even going to remotely conceive of such a time frame.

I think we all innately know that one reason so many lhs have become focused on RC, slot cars, etc is the "buy it today, run it tonight" aspect of those things. That's why for those starting off I tend to advocate a philosophy of "get started". If that means a set, a small layout, etc, better than plan it to death and dream of what could be in 25 years.

Just get started! I could not agree more!

However you start, just get started!!!

I think if the hobby is in you it will be love at first sight when you see the locomotive circle the track. Some will walk away others will buy another set or add-on track. Still others will build a permanent layout! We can't forget the Christmas layout only crowd. I don't think you can go wrong with a starter set to begin with. If it kick starts you into this hobby I think it's great! If you buy it for Christmas I can almost 100% guarantee you it will be special to who ever receives it. Scrooge makes 100% impossible.

As far as hobbies go I take my mantra from Sinatra, - I did it my way! If you dig it, fine. If not, that's OK too. Want to tell me it's wrong? Go away. I hope someone is enjoying my occasion photos on this forum but I think a few of you maybe shaking your heads at my excursions into bottle cap swimming pools and old Plasticville. I understand, but the nice thing here is no one gives anyone grief over such things. I'm having a good time and I hope you are too. If you're not it's time for another hobby!

G'day all....Allow me to demonstrate something...In the photo are two of my locomotives..One cost me $320...Athearn Genesis...SD70ACe...bought about 15 months ago.. The other one a warbonnet Santa Fe GP40 came in the very first HO starter set I bought about 7 years ago...One is full sound DCC...the other is hard wired DC only...Guess what ?. I get just as much a kick to see the little Bachmann GP 40 running around as I do the lovely operations of the Awesome Athearn loco...Individually that DC Bachmann would cost you less than 50 bucks ..so five or six of them for one Genesis...The Genesis is also very detailed ...the Bachmann less so but for the simple joy of running there is no difference to me between them...so for anyone to say in this regard "Go big or go home " they certainly would be wrong in my opinion...never mind the elaborateness of the layout..
I'm so glad we all agree on this point...You are all very smart and true enthusiasts...Cheers Rod.. athearn and bachmann.jpg

Rodney, I have a Bachmann DC GP40 Santa Fe like yours! I got mine on eBay for $13.35 including shipping, I was the only bidder and it runs great! My oldest daughters favorite of my locomotives.

Lionel has made a GP20 with the same paint scheme, I want that too!

Gary B,
I for one am very glad you did your layout your way!

I could never have come up with that much creativity to create such a fantastic display of Americana, my favorite.

Frank Sinatra also was a model railroader and his way was best summed up by his motto "he who dies with the most toys wins"

I disagree, I say he who has the most fun with his toys wins!

I replied to this thread previously but just want to add a few comments that I didn't have time for as we were heading out the door for our annual camping trip to PA. I joined a local train club many years ago. After attending a few meetings to get the feel of how things ran I showed up at one meeting with an engine and a couple of cars to run on the layout. The cars were all weighted to NMRA standards, equipped with Kadee couplers properly gauged and the engine was a top notch runner. I was promptly told that the Tyco cars were not good enough to run on the club layout and not to bring them back. I packed up my things and neither myself nor any equipment have ever been back.
I am not a rivet counter, nor do I operate my layout with any type of card system. I tend to operate "on the fly" as I am a single operator. I enjoy just watching trains run around the tracks with my grandkids.

Thanks for sharing that, Alex! Clubs come in all varieties, and I do understand the need to have standards in a group effort. But regrettably, enough of them are out there that go overboard, are clannish and standoffish, and otherwise convey "you're not worthy" that I doubt anyone can say your experience was terribly rare. There are three ho clubs in my area, and one has a similar "snooty" reputation. It's purely anecdotal, but having lived all over the country and checked out many clubs, my acid test is simple: do they have open houses and is at least one of those a year - likely around the holidays - welcoming of kids. Surprisingly many don't, and a large portion of those ended up... not being a good fit, shall we say.

Then again, I'm the sort who would gladly suffer a dropped car or some scenery repair in exchange for seeing a kids eyes light up with that "wow!" We all had at some point. (I'm also the sort who has a Thomas loco and cars for the layout and invites kids to see them... and puts the more precious stuff away in the display case first. )

G'day Alex....Being many years ago , I trust this has changed somewhat now...The sentiments expressed by KJ and Louis are great...Kids and 'big kids' love trains and by clubs as you encountered deny running to an outlet , private layout , club or show the hobby is all the poorer...That said , precautionary action to minimise any collateral damage from little kids is probably wise but easily achievable..cos little kids like to touch things...That doesn't worry me though as much as your experience with Tyco not being good enough...HOW RUDE ...I'm glad you never went back..a very good call on your part....Without Tyco , Lifelike , Bachmann , Athearn RTR Blue box , some Walthers etc...there'd be a whole lot less of us running trains because if you had to have a "Certain type of brand or standard"...many of us would never have started in the first place...I bet if you walked into that club and the members answered honestly how many of them started with a Tyco , or any of the budget brands , the numbers would be significant...We have no model rail clubs at all in my area..nearest one is 130 kms away..so I'm the President / Secretary/ Treasurer/Promotional Officer etc of my club..I'd be happy for you to be a member anytime..only trouble is there is the Pacific Ocean that limits OPs Sessions a little bit..Mind you , our Forum is a great alternative...You are another member with great perspective and if you're ever in Tasmania , Australia bring a Tyco or two and run a train.....Cheers Rod..

I was in a club 25 years ago for a couple of years. I left after two years for two reasons; our son was born and I got tired of the lack of respect for the railroad I was modeling at the time. That experience convinced me that I'd be better off being a lone wolf than in a club.

Today, I have a layout I'm ever so slowly rebuilding and the funny thing is, none of those guys who were in the club then will ever get to see my layout. Since they didn't like the Milwaukee because it wasn't the GN or NP, surely they won't like the anthracite roads! Now, the only people who will see my layout are the ones that I want to share it with who will enjoy it and not belittle it or my interest.

How appropriate! I just pulled out my Tyco Spirit of 76 set. No original boxes. I keep it wrapped in plain paper, bubble wrap and stored in a pizza box from a fund raiser at my grandsons' school. No value to any collector, but it is in top running shape! it will take its place on my Christmas layout soon enough.

I started with Tyco!

Thank God for Tyco!

G'day all....SERIOUSLY NOT JOKING....If any of you guys are ever in St.Marys , Tasmania , Australia...or thereabouts I'll be extremely cross with you if you don't call in and have a visit...Guest Operator Status... you don't even have to bring any of yours...My "club" layout is well served as my bank balance or lack there of reveals...A WARNING....When I get to the USA I'll be hunting you down if I'm in the vicinity of any of you Forum members...so LOOK OUT...Cheers Rod..

Back