Akane models steamer need advice on fixing it

100_0109.jpg100_0107.jpg100_0106.jpg100_0108.jpg

The parts in your photos look pretty good to me. Detail level is minimal as was the usual with Akane stuff, but they have "strong bones" The chassis is simple, drivers are usually not sprung. Details can be updated and enhanced, and I would re-motor and re-gear it if it was me. It looks like what you have is mostly all there, so, as Carey asks, what's wrong with it?

With all that brass, I would put pickup wires on the tender truck axles. I would temporarily remove the gear box and worm on the engine drive train and check out that the locomotive mechanism isn't binding anywhere. Replace the motor with a can motor and use universal joints in the drive shafts. Unless you plan to keep the locomotive in DC, now would be the time to install a DCC decoder (with or without sound) in the tender.

I have many brass models, and most have the standard "engine picks up on one rail, tender picks up on the other" How does it run on your layout now? Wheelbase is the key here. I do add auxiliary pickups on short wheelbase models like 0-6-0's and ten wheelers (4-6-0's) but larger models like heavy pacifics and up often don't need them depending on your track characteristics. Test it. If it works. don't fix it!

If you are going to install DCC that motor has to be replaced. Sound should go in the tender, but motor and headlight only decoders can fit in the boiler. I have done several this way. How are your mechanical skills?

Back