Airbursh suggestions

n1vets333

I am planning on buying a new airbrush that I will use for weathering rolling stock and buildings and the occasional repaint. I know that dual action is better than single but thats where my knowledge ends. Do I want internal or external mixxing? Should I get a gravity fed airbrush. Please advice is welcomed before I spend my money.

For most model painting I use the single action Badger 250. It's easy to use, simple to clean, and fairly inexpensive. I have 3 of them, one only for white, one for light colors, and one for dark colors.

I also have a dual action Paasche VL-s that I rarely use. Great airbrush, but requires complete dis-assembly for cleaning, and you MUST completely clean it between uses. Better paint control for fine work, but doesn't do as well for larger areas, in my opinion.

Rotor

I have a badger 155 that I'm learning on. It is an internal mix brush and dual action. You can do more with it than a single but it takes a bit more practice.
Good Luck

Well, some things you may want to take into consideration before buying..

1.Just how much money are you trying to spend?

2.You stated you plan to use this airbrush for some painting and weathering...Are you familiar with using an airbrush?

3.Single action is different from double action in that a double action airbrush will allow you to control air flow and paint volume by means of "rocking" the spray button back and forth (depending on what is desired) thus making it a better choice for more experienced users....And typically more expensive...

Although I prefer a double action, a single action (being more simplistic) is not too bad for less detailed projects (i.e: spraying a single color for primer, or as a base coat.) Double action airbrushes are more difficult to use, but after you get the hang of them it really brings model building to life. As far as internal and external mix...Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this is just personal preference and doesn't affect the quality of the end product. I have used both types and have never really noted too many differences to make me choose one of the other. The same applies to gravity fed....In both cases the only thing I can see is ease of cleaning and simplicity. As far as what type of airbrush though, there are many to choose from. The best airbrushes I have EVER used were Testors Aztec (very easy to clean and use) and the Iwata Eclipse. Both are alittle pricey (in the 150.00 range) but have seemingly been the ones I have had the best results with. Next best, and alittle cheaper were the Paache double action (can't remember the model, but its VERY common) and a Badger double action. Both were pretty good too and more easy on the pocket. Didn't mean to overload this with info, but I kinda wish I would've had some better insight when making my first purchase...Least I can do is steer someone else down the right path. Good luck!;)

-Rich

I'll second Rich's recommendation on the Testor Aztek. All metal body that adds a nice heft when you're using it, easy to clean, and gives excellent results. You can buy cheaper airbrushes (like I did) but you'll end up spending the money for a good one in the long run anyway if you seriously get into painting. Micromark has the double action Aztek on sale for $125 and good quality tank compressor on sale of $110. That may seem like a lot of money but it's really not because you'll trash a couple of $70 airbrushes and go through about 10 cans of propellant at about $5 a piece before you finally decide you want something that works well. Might as well spend the money to get good stuff the first time instead of a year or so of cursing your lower quality stuff and end up spending twice the money in the end.

I would like to discuss this thread some....I am in the market for a airbrush system now that Santa is coming to town...

I would like another round of who uses what today.... I would like to hear from these guys that have not posted yet...(jim I was looking at that Aztek...it is till in the top I think choice)

Josh
Smoke
Wheeler
macjet
mlw
spacemouse

thanks guys....

Alcomotive,

I've been using the same old airbrush since I bought it back in 1985!! It's a dual action Paasche H7. I've replace the tip once or twice over the years, but it's never let me down.

If you're fairly new to airbrushing, stick to single action for now. Dual acton is great down the road once you have developed your own techniques, in and outs so to speak. With dual action, one wrong tug on that trigger will ruin your perfect shell when you least expect it. I've been airbrushing over 20 years and have tried just about everything on the market. I'm now using a Pasche dual action with 3 different needle/tip sets for different jobs but I just happen to get a good deal on Ebay for it.

You have to use whats comfortable for you and you have confidence with. Start with something reasonable, not bottom of the line, but don't spend $200either. You will soon discover that most of the trials will be with air pressure and paint mixture. I personally hate water based paints, never use them in an airbrush. Well I have...that's why I hate them ;) Floquil thinned with paint thinner and dull cote thinned with laquer thinner. Everyone has there own formula.... 70/30, 60/40, 3 to 1, 4 to 1 etc etc. You have to determine what works best for you.

Always use a moisture trap/water filter inline somewhere

My tip....once you have spent hours on that shell detailing and prepping, mix the paint, pour it in the bottle and screwed to the airbrush......

SPRAY A SCRAP PIECE WITH A FEW STROKES BEFORE AIMING IT AT YOUR PERFECT SHELL ;)

I myself have two Testors brushes, one external mix single action, one internal mix double action. However, I'm in the market for a Badger. The Badger 150 is a cover all brush. Precision work is better done with a 100. An external mix brush is nice, if using on large painting projects.

My biggest suggestion, and one that took me a while to pick up on. THIN the paint, not matter what the paint manufacturer says! I prefer enamels and air brush thinner, as I get less unsightly water droplet bubbling, and a smoother coat.

Back