Airbrushing rookie!

Some time around 2000, TTX switched from a bright yellow to a mustard yellow. That said, once the cars were out in the real world for a while, the colors changed. So get a reference print of a car you like and work to match it.

As to the flat colors, normally, for rolling stock, you want to work with gloss paints. The reason is a little oxymoronic - the painted surface of a "flat" paint is actually very rough, the surface of a gloss paint is very flat and smooth. Frequently, you will be adding decals to the painted car. The decals adhere and look better when applied to gloss paint. Once you're all done, you add a flat top coat to remove the gloss and seal any decals, weathering, etc. that you may have applied. One of the commonly used flat overcoats is Testors Dull Coat. But you can use any flat acrylic or lacquer topcoat. Both Valspar and Rustoleum are fine. I prefer the solvent based lacquers, but that may be just because when I learned to paint and weather, acrylics were in there infancy and, frankly, pretty poor quality.

A fixed formula for thinning paint doesn't exactly work for me. There are variables that change from one day to the next. Things like temperature and humidity. What works one day may not work the next day. Each type of paint works a little different from the other. There are things that I do that work for me. The most important is preparation of surface being painted. The parts should be free of any thing that will keep the paint from sticking. Mold release, fingerprints. For primer I've been using gray or white primer from Ace Hardware. If I can prime a part right from the spray can I do. If not I spray it in a paper cup and prime with my airbrush.
Thinning the paint I use enamel paint thinner for enamel paints. Lacquer thinner for Lacquer. For acrylic paints I use windshield washer fluid. My gauge for thinning is to put a toothpick in the paint and pull it straight up. When I get it to drip 2 drops quick and on drop that hangs on the toothpick the viscosity is usually right to spray. It is about the consistency of milk.
The air pressure I use for Lacquer is about 12-18 psi. Enamel is around 15-20 psi. Acrylic is about the same. For Acrylic craft paint like Folk Art I found that a high pressure works the best. Usually around 30 psi.
Everybody has a different way of painting. It just takes a little practice to figure out what works for you.

Back