Airbrush for a beginner

It's actually chrome plated brass. Only the tip cover was aluminum.

As far as cleaning the airbrush between colors on the same project. Since I use water based Polly Scale paint, I simply have a bottle of rubbing alcohol. When I finish one color, slap on the bottle of alcohol and spray until the brush is clean, and then start in with the next color. I makes switching between colors quick and easy, and I don't have to disassemble the brush each time.

thanks. so polly scale is water based, what other paints are water based?

The harbor freight brush kit is not something I have any experience with, but when using bottom feed I do like to be able to switch between a color cup for small jobs, and a jar for bigger projects. Also what about parts? At $15.00 for the airbrush, is it worth fixing?

Alan;

I've been experimenting with both the airbrushes that HF sells. The plastic one that is similar to a Binks Wren and the double action one. The cheaper plastic brush isn't worth the money ($7.00 on sale) if trying to get good results on a model. This is one case where I'd say that given the choice of a spraycan or this brush to paint a model with, use the can. The spray pattern is extremely large, even when almost closed off. It would make a good scenery "toning" brush. I don't know if any Badger parts would fit it. I do know that Passche tips don't.

The double action one absolutely surprised me. It painted extremely well, and gives an extremely smooth finish. It appears to be a Badger clone, but I don't remember the model number. I do know that the tip and nozzle assemblies can be replaced with Badger parts.

I have even gotten to where I use it more that my Passche now. The kit comes with a jar and a cup. My only complaint about it is the cup has a straight "pipe", and not curved like the cup on my Passche. The cup as a result stays close to the hose connector. I'm not used to a paint cup being in that position, and it seems a little awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Badger tip and nozzle assemblies work then so will the needles, and that's probably all you'll ever need. It appears to be a clone of the Badger Anthem, one of the few Badger brushes I don't own. These days I'm using a Paasche Millenium for large areas and an Iwata top feed for the fine stuff. The Iwata is a great airbrush for fine detail, but will hammer quite a dent in your wallet. I like it though. You can turn it down to where you can use it like a pencil. If the HF unit works, have at it! I'll be interested to see how well it "ages".

Alan;

I've been experimenting with both the airbrushes that HF sells. The plastic one that is similar to a Binks Wren and the double action one. The cheaper plastic brush isn't worth the money ($7.00 on sale) if trying to get good results on a model. This is one case where I'd say that given the choice of a spraycan or this brush to paint a model with, use the can. The spray pattern is extremely large, even when almost closed off. It would make a good scenery "toning" brush. I don't know if any Badger parts would fit it. I do know that Passche tips don't.

The double action one absolutely surprised me. It painted extremely well, and gives an extremely smooth finish. It appears to be a Badger clone, but I don't remember the model number. I do know that the tip and nozzle assemblies can be replaced with Badger parts.

I have even gotten to where I use it more that my Passche now. The kit comes with a jar and a cup. My only complaint about it is the cup has a straight "pipe", and not curved like the cup on my Passche. The cup as a result stays close to the hose connector. I'm not used to a paint cup being in that position, and it seems a little awkward.

My father-in-law surprised me with a pre wedding gift which was the HF double action air brush and compressor. Hoping and praying i get to use it in the upcoming weeks.

... The Iwata is a great airbrush for fine detail, but will hammer quite a dent in your wallet. I like it though. You can turn it down to where you can use it like a pencil. If the HF unit works, have at it! I'll be interested to see how well it "ages".

My Badger XF100 will do the same. Pam gave it to my for Xmas one year while we were still in Mobile. It was $100 bucks then!

Will the HF replace the Passche? Not very likely. The Passche is so second nature, and so bulletproof, I can almost adjust the tip on it by memory. The HF is just something new to knock around with and so for now is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back