Airbrush commpressor

I picked up one of the Harbor Freight models as a backup for my Badger compressor and find I use it more than the Badger. It's really quiet with almost no vibration. I also agree that 30 PSI is almost always too high for air brushing and use an in-line regulator so I can control the pressure more precisely. That Northern Tool model looks like a similar model to the hHarbor Freight one with the addition of an air tank. If it's made by the same Chinese factory, it's a good value for the money.

If you have access to a larger compressor (at work, or at the local gas station), another option would be a portable air tank or "carry tank". Both Northern Tool and Harbor Freight have them in various sizes and the price is reasonable. Add a mini regulator/filter and you will be all set.

Rub, your link isn't working. I think your talking about this one??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92403&Submit=Go

That's the one wheeler. I did a search on the item #. A regulator is built in according to the propaganda about the unit.

I used an old Badger unit for almost 20 years until I gave it away.

This is what I have now; http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40400

[If the link doesn't work, do an item # search on 40400.]

My little one gallon Husky compressor, although a great little compressor for painting, almost couldn't support my Passche Air Eraser,(a media blasting gun), much less a bigger gun that I will use from time to time. The 2-HP doesn't support the bigger gun as well as a 5 or 8HP unit could, but for the amt of media blasting I do, it supports it well enough.

I used an old Badger unit for almost 20 years until I gave it away.QUOTE]

LOL! I still have it and it still works, though I just about never use it now. It's good for giving clinics.

I have a 5 HP with a 30 gallon tank I use now, because of the blasting booth. If you're looking at $100.00 or so I'd get one on of the basic home units at Walmart or wherever. Nice to be able to air up bike tires, car tires, and so forth as well as airbrush! Also nice to blow dry parts out of teh ultrasonic cleaner. Think multi-tasking! :cool:

I also find that 30 psi is sometimes necessary for water based paints, though I usually shoot solvent based at 20 psi or so

I use 15 - 20 psi max but I only use Floquil and dullcote. When I did use acrylics, it was 30 - 35 psi but I never use them any more. That compressor should be just fine.

All, a quick question: I know that a water trap is a good idea for airbrushing, but would it be necessary for acrylic (water-based) painting?

All, a quick question: I know that a water trap is a good idea for airbrushing, but would it be necessary for acrylic (water-based) painting?

Yes, I would use one. You don't want water drops in your already thinned paint, or if you're shooting straight from the bottle. It's cheap insurance.

Back