air compressor for airbrush

bgoatsw

my current air compressor looks like its going to die on me. Its just a 1/10 hp compressor for model trains etc. Do i need to get one like it or can i get one from like Home Depot? any other suggestions for replacements would be great also , thanks G

The only requirements of an air compressor for airbrushing is:
1- Adjustable to the pressure range required. Typically 10 to 30psi.
2- The compressor can deliver enough air volume so the pressure does drop when the airbrush trigger is engaged. This is usually only on issue with the small cheap compressors.
3- The compressed air is clean and dry. Very important.
Other than that any air compressor will work. If one from HD is cheap enough but doesn't have a good regulator and water trap then these can be added to the air line before the airbrush. If the compressor is some distance away (like in the garage and piped to the house) then a second regulator and water trap is recommended.

Other considerations are:
Noise of the compressor, like its used inside the house.

Here are some links that discuss air brush compressors:
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/
http://airbrushtechnique.com/f498/
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18.aspx

thanks for info. thats a big help, I am not familiar with all the specific needs. what about fittings for the airbrush hose hooking to air compressor?

Thanks G

There are a few different fittings on airbrushes and their hoses. Most air compressors have a standard NPT on the regulator output. NPT adapters are easy to get (plumbing dept of HD should have them).

What is the fitting on the compressor you currently have?
A picture with the male fitting over a rule would help us determine its size.

Not to hijack the thread...but I noticed my compressor when you hit it,..starts out very strong then drops to a lower pressure. Is this normal or should it remain a constant? I always have to purge it first to get a steady pressure.

I use a small dual tank compressor. It had a regulator that worked fine, so I added a female quick connect on the output, then bought a water collector and put a male connector on the input and a female on the output, and finally added a male connector to my airbrush hose. When I need to airbrush, I plug in the collector to the compressor,and the airbrush into the collector, set the regulator and I'm ready. And when I'm not using it for that, I have an airhose I can plug in ti the compressor and run air tools, fill tires.ect. The tanks are big enough that the compressor seldom runs while I'm painting, so pressure varies very little.

If you don't mind, spend a few extra dollars, get a compressor with a tank. The tank will not only ensure an even steady pressure, but will smooth out the pulses you will experience with a "one-lunger" without a tank .... plus your compressor won't be running ALL the time.

AllenB - What you are experiencing is backpressure build-up. I'm guessing you don't have a regulator on your compressor. (?) The compressor is building up pressure against the closed valve of your airbrush - which will be higher than the normal running pressure. When you hit the valve, that excess pressure is relived in a burst until regular line pressure is re-achieved.

blvdbuzzard - How long have you been using your Harbor Freight compressor ? The law of averages doesn't seem to play in favor of Harbor Freight's products .... especially anything with a motor in it ! I've heard WAY too many stories of their products giving up after a year or less operating time. Some people do get lucky, but with the number of bad ones I've heard about, I wouldn't be recommending them any time soon.

Mark.

If you're buying new get the biggest and most certainly a popular brand - Devilbis is a good one, even the Sears is better than a Harbour Freight, a Campbell/Husvarna (SP) is also good. What you want is a compressor that is powerful enough so that it doesn't run continuously when painting - in other words the compressor has to have the ability to surpass the required output of the paint gun you are using.

I use a DeVilbis 10HP 30Gal tanked compressor which is direct feed from the motor - no pulleys and is also classified as oil less which means you don't have to keep checking the oil and adding as required. This compressor was about $450.00 at the time but it has performed flawlessly for 8 years running all sizes of paint guns, impact guns, filling tires, operating nail guns and more so in the long run it has more than paid for itself.

Jim

The small airbrush compressors aimed at salons, cake decorating, etc. can work IF you are using an airbrush that does not require a larger volume of air.
That is, an airbrush that has a fine tip and is only used for small detail work.

It is important to ensure the compressor matches or exceeds the airbrush's air volume requirements. So which airbrush do you have and what do you use it for.

Well I have to say I have had my compressor for almost 4 years now. It has been a pretty good one. Yes I am totally surprised that it has lasted this long. I have not been easy on it either. I have used it to power my hopper for the drywall texture to do the remodel on my house, air tools, paint guns, and and and. Biggest problem with HF air compressors is they are way over rated on CFM's.

I would not buy another Cambell/Hausfield compressor. Mine was total junk. Air regulator died the first day, compressor died a month later.

You did not say how large of compressor you are looking for?

Brother in law has this one to run his nails guns for work.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

The duty cycle of an air compressor running an air brush will be very low. Most should last a while. Now if you try to run a shop off one of these, it may last a month or two.

I had to laugh at one of those car shows on the weekend where they rebuild a car from the ground up in a 30 minute show. Where they make it look like you can do it all in your garage with a floor jack and 101 piece tool set. They were talking about how to setup a workshop with a compressor and running the lines around so you have air no matter where you are. They put a $13,000 setup in the garage. They spent almost $5,000 on the compressor.

Now, I may be wrong here but the average person can not spend that much on a compressor setup. I have to agree it was a really nice setup, but having anodized tubing, clamp on "TEE" and elbows maybe nice, but good ole copper lines would have worked for a lot less. So, you have to balance the information you get to what you need and what you want.

Buzz.

Might I suggest you consider getting a 20 pound CO2 tank. When fully charged, it will paint over a thousand N scale freight cars, including clean up of the brush (unless you paint one car at a time:D).

CO2 is good because it is pure and has no water that can foul up the paint. It sprays whisper-quiet, and takes up less than a square foot of floor space.
Safety note: I wouldn't use/keep the tank inside the house... garage is fine, just spray with the big door open.

You can find a used tank at any welding supply company. Walthers stopped selling the regulators I used before I was flooded out by hurricane Katrina... at least, I can't find the same regulator in their catalog any more.

Hmm... I got one. I got
tired of puffing real
fast...
o2.gif

Has anybody tried one of the small airbrush compressors aimed at salons, cake decorating, etc.? They are small, inexpensive, and presumably very quiet.

Eg. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Airbrushing-/28111/i.html?_nkw=airbrush+compressor

If they are any good, it would seem like they would be easier to live with than a larger, noisier, high pressure unit.

The only problem with them is that they don't have a reserve (air tank) so you get the pulsing in the gun from the compressor which can make for a blotchy spray pattern. Get an air compressor that at least comes with an air tank which absorbs the pulsations. Also most of the airbrush compressor are actually too small as they will be running constantly when you are using them as they can't really keep up to some of the airbrushes.

In the end it is up to you as to what you get; we can only give you our thoughts of what works best. About the only really quiet compressor with a tank that will do the job up to a point is a pancake compressor but most I have seen will only last a couple of years.

Jim

Might I suggest you consider getting a 20 pound CO2 tank. When fully charged, it will paint over a thousand N scale freight cars, including clean up of the brush (unless you paint one car at a time:D).

CO2 is good because it is pure and has no water that can foul up the paint. It sprays whisper-quiet, and takes up less than a square foot of floor space.
Safety note: I wouldn't use/keep the tank inside the house... garage is fine, just spray with the big door open.

You can find a used tank at any welding supply company. Walthers stopped selling the regulators I used before I was flooded out by hurricane Katrina... at least, I can't find the same regulator in their catalog any more.

]

I like the CO2 tank idea.

I found this article about air supply handy: http://www.craigcentral.com/models/airsource.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it will need a tank to eliminate pulsations. I learned that years ago with a Binks unit. I wound up adding a clunky propane tank in series.

Today I use a Porter Cable all in one compressor that is nice and portable and was used with finish nail and staple guns to make the layout and remodel the house.

Oh yeah! And works with my airbrush. It has a knob-adjustable pressure regulator. I think it cost around 160 on sale at OSH. It is a wonderful tool. Even fills my tires :D

Back