Adding Grabirons

slopes09

I have two projects coming up, both involving adding handrails where there were none previously. Both models are HO, one is a caboose and the other is an Athearn Blue Box Engine. The Blue Box engine won't be as hard because of you can see where the handrails used to be. However, the caboose will be harder, because there won't be a guide.

What I'm looking for is any advice on materials for the project and any advice on carrying it out.

My current thought is brass rod and a styrene "spacer" to shape the handrails and get a consistent distance from surface.

That's pretty much it. I'd recommend 0.012" dia. wire, some wire cutters, a pin vise with an assortment of wire gauge drill bits and some needlenose pliers with a flat gripping surface (i.e., no "teeth" to leave marks on the wire). Armed with all that, you should be able to do the job easily.

One trick i learned was to use a match to give a uniformed depth to the grab irons, drill your holes ,fit the grabs ,slip a match in under them all and then glue them in from the inside of the shell.:D

Thanks you guys! I still want to use the styrene as a spacer, and was wondering if you could give me a good thickness for that. The reason for that is that I also need the styrene for some other projects as well, and I just need a size. Thanks a lot!

Depends on the type of grabs. If it's the side grab iron on the caboose, something like .060 would be about right. Other grabs would be about .030 to .040. GN's idea if using a paper match as a spacer is a good one. Just take one of those and use the same thickness of styrene but it would be a lot easier just use a match and save yourself some work.

Back