Adding DCC sound to a Bachman RS3... best options?

Hello, I have a couple of the budget Bachman RS3 units that are DCC only. Any good / better / best way to add sound to the stock DCC in these things? I have not openend them up yet to see what they have inside...

When you get the loco open, I would measure the current circuit board that's in it. Then I would go to one of the sound decoder sites, and compare the sizes of their boards to the one that came out of the loco. The one than is closest in size to the original board, without being bigger than that board, should fit with no problems. But I believe that your hardest problem with adding sound to this loco, is finding a place for a speaker.

When you get the loco open, I would measure the current circuit board that's in it. Then I would go to one of the sound decoder sites, and compare the sizes of their boards to the one that came out of the loco. The one than is closest in size to the original board, without being bigger than that board, should fit with no problems. But I believe that your hardest problem with adding sound to this loco, is finding a place for a speaker.
Carey, the sound equipped engines have the speaker in the fuel tank.

Appreciate the answer Terry. I figured that the tank would be about the only place for the speaker. I've done many sound installs, but haven't had to do one in these, yet. I personally don't have any sound except for one loco. I doubt that there will be any others.

I hate doing installs that may or may not involve machining out an area for the speaker. I have to charge more for them, and I hate charging more for some people who can barely afford the decoder.

Carey:

As Terry mentioned, the Bachmann DCC on board series have provision for a speaker in the fuel tank. The standard version comes with a very basic Lenz decoder, connected to the light board with an 8 pin plug via a short harness. I routinely replace this decoder with a Digitrax (DN 135), however larger decoders will fit.

The sound equipped version of the Bachmann RS3 uses a Tsunami decoder designed for Bachmann. I'm not really in to sound either, but it would be easier/cheaper just to buy the sound equipped version :cool:, especially considering street price of a Bachmann, is significantly lower than MSRP.

Joe

I won't be buying any of these, as I have the Hobbytown version, which is still one of the most accurate bodies of these Alcos out there. But I do many, many installs for the LHS and his customers, and I install what they want. Most like the versatility of a custom install with a full functioning sound decoder versus an OEM installed decoder with less options.

But it's good to know that the frame is already machined for a speaker, as many other locos with little or no room in the body for one, do have to be machined.

Thaks for all the replies! I doubt I would buy any more Bachman engines, but I have a few now, so now I know better. That said, at least I can get them upgraded without too much hassle. I do prefer my BLI engines... oh yeah... :cool:

Back