A "Wireless" DCS?

"Wireless" DCS system--Godd Idea or Not?

• Yes, Good idea!

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No (Why?)

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again--NOT HELPING!!!

I should have been clearer--I am intending to standardize that ALL my large scale locomotives--regardless their original manufacturer--would use MTH's DCS, and the DCS system would be used in conjunction with Tam Valley's transmitters and recievers. In other words, the output from an MTH TIU is fed through a transmitter, which is picked up by receivers on board the locomotives, and fed to a locomotive's DCS circuit board.
Ok, I did not understand that you were considering using DCS with Tam Valley's wireless system. Sorry, but that simply will not work with out a major redisgn of the system. DCC and Tam Valley's wireless system are both one-way communication, whereas DCS is two-way.

Ok, I did not understand that you were considering using DCS with Tam Valley's wireless system. Sorry, but that simply will not work with out a major redisgn of the system. DCC and Tam Valley's wireless system are both one-way communication, whereas DCS is two-way.

(Sighs) Great. Now I have to find radio hardware that not only is higher-voltage but is also two-way (like a walkie-talkie). Worst case scenario, I'd have to build my own wireless hardware completely from scratch, I guess.

And while my aversion to using track power may have the benefits of eschewing hassles such as dirt or dead spots, my philosophy is that the idea of an externally-powered steam- or diesel-outline model locomotive is just plain unrealistic in my tastes.

On a side note, one person has been able to modify DCS for battery/wireless power, however, this setup involves what is essentially a "mobile TIU," necessitating a semipermanently-coupled trailing car to house it. Except for steamers with tenders, the idea of an additional car parasitically riding along with a locomotive seems unrealistic to me, as I want to be able to operate locomotives without any cars attached at all as well.

Thus, my only solution involves a stationary TIU and radio hardware to replace the trackwork connections.

The club I belong to is still getting used to DCC - we're right in the middle of our first DCC open house. I can't imagine trying to adopt something else, at least not right now. This wireless direct-to-locomotive technology seems to still be in its infancy, so I will be sticking to good old fashioned DCC (did I just call DCC "old fashoned"? Geez.).

one person has been able to modify DCS for battery/wireless power, however, this setup involves what is essentially a "mobile TIU," necessitating a semipermanently-coupled trailing car to house it. Except for steamers with tenders, the idea of an additional car parasitically riding along with a locomotive seems unrealistic to me, as I want to be able to operate locomotives without any cars attached at all as well..
While infeasible for a small switcher, what about a dummy unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
While infeasible for a small switcher, what about a dummy unit?

A dummy unit? Uh-uh, not gonna work. In my philosophy, ALL locomotives (including diesel B-Units) should be powered (no dummies allowed) and capable of independent operation (in actual operation however, B-units, like their prototypes, are essentially "slaves" and not used except in a lash-up with a cab-equipped unit). In other words, eschewing dummies makes the motive power fleet more flexible, IMO.

Recently MTH announced the introduction of a single-channel TIU, which could be theoretically smaller, making battery conversions easier.

A dummy unit? Uh-uh, not gonna work. In my philosophy, ALL locomotives (including diesel B-Units) should be powered (no dummies allowed) and capable of independent operation (in actual operation however, B-units, like their prototypes, are essentially "slaves" and not used except in a lash-up with a cab-equipped unit). In other words, eschewing dummies makes the motive power fleet more flexible, IMO.

Recently MTH announced the introduction of a single-channel TIU, which could be theoretically smaller, making battery conversions easier.
While that is a noble goal, it does seem that you have managed to find yourself in quite the conundrum. I wish you good luck, although I do not see the point of using a preparatory system.

Back