a variation on the beer line

BIG-D

in the january issue of m.r. was a track plan for the milwakee beer line and playing around with some graph paper realised that 2 of the 3 layout configurations will work in the room alotted by the parrents but im modifying the eara by about 60 years or so any suggestions comments or imputs are much appreciated and will be considered in the build this summer.
thanks Dylan
sorry i didnt know where to post this

Hi, Dylan. The Beer Line is one of the better layout ideas that MR has had lately. As you say, it can be configured for a number of different space requirements. You say you want to modify the era by about 60 years. The layout in MR was set in 1946, as I recall. Going back 60 years puts you in 1886, a much different time. Most of the structures and the Beer Line itself didn't exist in 1886. Finding motive power and rolling stock from that era is also a challenge. Maybe you can tell us about exactly what time period you want to model and why.

yeah im goin for about 1990-2009the eara im from lol i have nodern roling stock and locos so im tweaking it to the equipment i have

Yeah, I guess going forward in time does make more sense :D In terms of updating the Beer Line, all you'd have to do is change some details like streetlights, vehicles, and signage. The railroad itself, if it was still running that branch, wouldn't have changed much at all except the motive power and rolling stock would be newer. Maybe add a Burger King or 7-11 where there was some older buildings torn down. Most industrial areas of big cities don't look very much different than it did in 1946. The chief difference is almost no businesses are served by rail any longer and street running is almost extinct. No reason why you can't add that back to a time now layout.

Back