A-Line rims and tires

railBuilderDhd

I was putting tires on a set of A-Line rims and bent the rims to he!!. I was thinking it's a 50-50 shot at getting tires on the rims without damaging the rims but there must be a trick to it or something. Does anyone have a trick to get the tires on the rims and the rims on the axles without damaging the rims edges. The edge is so thin it's hard to keep it from getting destroyed.

Thanks for any tips as I'm wasting money on my rims each time I trash one.

Dave

Chamfer the inside edge of the wheel, either by sanding, scraping or careful shaving, and put the tires on the wheels from the inside, pulling toward the outer edge of the rim. Some of the bent edges may be pushed back into place without too much destruction once the tire is mounted.

Ryan,
That's how I've been putting the rim/tire sets together but still find when I push the tires on from the back or when I'm pushing the 2 rims on the axle I get the damage. I guess I just need to take my time more than I've been.

Dave

I have never really found it all that difficult to get the tires on the wheels. i just lay my wheel up-side down with the axle hole facing up, and press the tires over the wheel. It seems to be pretty easy that way.

Now getting the axle in the back of the wheel is a whole nuther story, and this can often be pretty difficult. I usually take the wheel (with tires already on) and place it up-side down again, then take the axle and hold it on the hole, take a pair of pliers (using as a small hammer cuz i dont have a small hammer lol) and gently tap the axle into the back of the wheel. You have to try and make sure the axle goes into the back of the wheel as close to straight as you can, which I dont always get right on my first attempt. I can usually straighten the axle out to be pretty close to straight by just gently bending it while its still in the wheel.... Then I take the axle and wheel and slide it through the axle holes on the equipment, take the other wheel (with tires added) and hold it over the axle so the wheel hole is on the axle, take my pliers again and tap the wheel till it is on the axle. Its often hard to get it straight as well.... But again, I can usually get it pretty straight by gently bending the wheel on the axle. I also have to push the tires on each wheel back out so they meet the rim of the wheel after the axle has been installed....

You can also drill the axle hole on the wheel out slightly with a bit that will just barely not fit in the hole (im not sure what size drill bit it is lol). I usually dont do this however because most of the time that results in having to glue the axle into the wheels to keep them on. This is okay if the equipment is finished and will not have to be taken apart again though....

LOL small hammer - yeah do they make one of those.

Sounds like we all have tried the same things. I was thinking of trying to hear the tires before putting them on the rim in hot water and maybe that would help with that part. That came to me last night when I trashed a rim on the latest set I was installing. lol

If you look at the Roadway tractor you can see one rims is trashed when the axle when right through the rim. I think drivers side rear.

Dave

soap install then rinse?
I mean use diluted dishwashing liquid as a lubricant then rinse it off. (rubber and plastic safe)
Or wet hairspay as a lubricant that you want to become glue when dry, risky

Last edited by a moderator:
what about some kind of lube or soap on the inside of the tire? to help it slip over the rim?

I am guessing the tire is rubber? maybe soaking in castor oil? Thats an old trick too...

Ryan,
That's how I've been putting the rim/tire sets together but still find when I push the tires on from the back or when I'm pushing the 2 rims on the axle I get the damage. I guess I just need to take my time more than I've been.

Dave

OK, Dave, I see what you're saying. Use a Q-tip to press against the hub while pushing the tires on from the back. That way you don't exert any force on the fragile rims themselves.

Another way to make the fit not quite so tight is to ream the inside of the tire with a blade or lightly sand them to open up the inside diameter of the tire. This is risky, though, because that vinyl can come off real quick, especially when using a blade.

what about some kind of lube or soap on the inside of the tire? to help it slip over the rim?

I am guessing the tire is rubber? maybe soaking in castor oil? Thats an old trick too...

They are vinyl. I don't know how they respond to oils (if it would degrade them or not), nor can I offer advice about increasing the temperature. I do know this: they become more brittle in cold weather, which can be an issue for those of us who model in the garage.

Q-tip is a good idea for adding the tires and axles. I would look at sanding or cutting the tires as a last thought because they are rubber.

Dave

Back