A few Proto Pics from Decatur, Al

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone. LGM and I railfanned Decatur this afternoon. I thought ya'll might get a kick out of some of the better shots...

River Industry. I'm not sure which plant this is because this was our first time in this particular part of Decatur (and it was obviously kinda dark :D ).
2080025738_c89877d512_o.jpg

CSX cruises some riverfront property. Talk about railfanning from your bedroom window...:D
2079238521_a6d8693160_o.jpg

Lake Wheeler is waaaayyyy down with the drought. We would normally been in several feet of water to get this shot of the NS (and CSX) bridge.
2079237455_b82eb65520_o.jpg

CSX work train crosses Lake Wheeler.
2080024798_439ccf4100_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
grande man,

Looks like you had a beautiful day for shooting!!! Do you have any more shots of that work train??

Hi Jerome. LGM and I had another great Saturday of railfanning (we always do)! That's it for the work train in my files, we'll have to see what LGM shot of it.

Eric, great shots as usual. In that second picture, are those GP-38's and are the roofs really white? I also dont see ditch lights unless they are hidden under the anticlimber. I haven't seen these before but, since I live in rail starved Prattville, I hardly see any trains. :(

Eric, great shots as usual. In that second picture, are those GP-38's and are the roofs really white? I also dont see ditch lights unless they are hidden under the anticlimber. I haven't seen these before but, since I live in rail starved Prattville, I hardly see any trains. :(

Yep, it's a geep 38 with a white cab roof. Take a close look, the ditchlights are there.

Thanks, Eric, I do see the ditchlights now, my crummy monitor doesn't bring out the best in you pictures. Is the white cab roof becoming standard on all CSX power? If so, is this to reduce A/C load or what? Whatever the reason, it's nice to see some GP-38's still in revenue service on a Class 1 road.

Thanks Steve and Josh. Jim, take a look at the ViewSonic monitors when you get ready to upgrade. I never thought I'd find one that matched my old CRT, but the 19" widescreen ViewSonic we just got does!

Back