A Few more Random Photos...

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
...from Birmingham's industrial past...

TCI Ensley Works ingot car, Wylam, Al.
2903759410_f698dc79c7_o.jpg

Railcar scalehouse outside of, what was, the Woodward Iron By Products plant.
2903758608_51becdbf80_o.jpg

2903757968_4f8f83d42c_o.jpg

TCI switch locks found by a friend's grandfather on Red Mountain in the late 1950s.
2621280608_e7de564ab7_o.jpg

Ishkooda 14 Mine Entry
2945978994_f57a86e238_o.jpg

One of the iron ore seams in the Birmingham area is the Hickory Nut seam. It is characterized by the fossilized brachiopod, pentamerous oblongus, that looks and is sized almost exactly like a hickory nut. This sample came from the historic Redding (Songo) mine slope on the future Red Mountain Park.
2926131660_8d9ae984e4_o.jpg

Very interesting, unusual, and quirky. What a neat set of inspriational pictures that would make a unique subject for modeling...

ingot car trucks

I would really like to hear any information you have about the trucks on that ingot car. I imagine they needed to hold a lot of weight, hence the beefy construction.

Eric, first time I've seen an ingot car like that. I assume there must have been a lot more at one time. Is it still sitting on track connected to anything or just abandoned in place? That scale house looks relatively new for being abandoned. I wonder when it went out of service?

Thanks for the replies!

JD, I don't have anything on the ingot car (or it's trucks) right now, but I'll keep my eyes open in case I run across anything in the future.

Jim, The track the ingot car is on appears to have been a connection between Ensley and Fairfield Works. It's on display now (abandoned in place, essentially) in Wylam, Al southwest of the Ensley site. I think the track is cut.

I'm not sure when the Woodward By-Products plant (operated by Koppers in the end) closed, but think it was mid 90s. I do think the scale house has been around for quite a while though. Maybe if I can get my head off Red Mountain long enough, some details can be put together sometime. ;)

Interesting shots, Eric. You have to stop all these excellent photo postings. You almost caused me to go out and buy a new Rebel camera the other day (man, I would be in scalding water for a long time. :D)

Back