A Diorama for Jessica

lookin' good so far Josh.
I love that pipe in the ground, I just did the same thing myself.

Rico, thanks buddy :D Ive done a few pipe scenes before, but this one is the most detailed I have ever done, see my next post with the pics to find out why :D

Looks good josh, but as a construction guy I must point out the track part of your excavator is backwards, the blade would be facing the hole in the ground. It's also a little small for waterline repair, would take a lot of scoops to make that big hole :)

Cory, Thanks for the suggestion, I agreed with you and that mini-excavator did look way to small for the size hole, so I moved it to the far right side of the diorama where it has started digging a small tench, this time the blade facing the right way :D

Yeah, I think you need the full size Norscot Caterpillar excavator/trackhoe for that one. How high up off the ground will this be mounted?

I did get the smaller Norscot CAT excavator in there, pulled it from my CAT equipment rental yard on another module :D

This diorama will be mounted at eye level to get the full perspective view of the diorama. I have asked a few people, including my dad and a few Friends to look at it from normal height and then get right down at eye level, and they all said do it at eye level because it really changes the look of the whole thing and makes it look that much cooler and realistic!

You seem to be doing an awful lot of work on the section that's going to be up against the wall... ?

This was very true, so I decided to flip the module around so the front was the street side

Josh, the street details and curb lawns really add a lot to the scene. I agree the excavator is a little small but it'll do for a diorama. One thing you're going to need for sure is a flagger, or you'll have some head on collisions at the K-rail section. :)

thanks for the comments Jim :D Dang your right! I dont have a pair of flaggers! I dont think anyone makes them though :confused:

well you model looks excelent, but i do have a suggestion

alot of the time near contruction zones and places where work trucks meet the highway, there is mud or dirt on the road. have you cosidered possible putting some kind of brown streaks in the road, pretty much just to reprodue the muddy tire tracks from equipment like dump trucks and crew pickups.

Thanks Matt :D

I appreciate your suggestion, and it was something that I was thinking about doing, but ultimately decided not to. Often times where construction zones are they lay gravel down and a steel plate that has ridges in it at or near the exits. The combination of the gravel and ribbed plates serves the purpose for "cleaning" the muddy tires when trucks leave the site. Granted this doesnt always work too well, so some of the sites ive seen even have a large hose that sprays a stream of water on either side of the truck at its tires when it passes.

At the gravel pit near me, which is home to Saddleback Sand, they have a truck wash that all trucks drive through when leaving. It has the same kinda thing, steel plates with ridges, gravel, and water, only this one there is a small shallow pit that they drive through that is flooded with the water. Its something I want to model, but just havnt had the right spot to do on anything ive modeled yet, but one day for sure :D

It's looking great.
How is the girfriend reacting to it though?
She asked for a pink house and got a construction site that happens to have a pink house. LOL.
In the future consider modular, where she has the option of separating the house from the rest of the scene :D

Thanks for the comments. Shes not exactly thrilled with the construction side of the diorama, but she hasnt seen it in a couple weeks, and the last time she saw it was even before i dug the hole in the street, so it was just blue foam over there on the right side lol. As i mentioned early on in this thread, this was the agreement to build this diorama for her, she gets a pink house with the cars she picked out and all the people, and I get to do a small construction site, which I chose to be a small house under construction. I thought it would be believable to have a house under construction next to another house... :D

I'll bet she'll look at all the construction and ask you when it's going to be finished! :D

LMAO :D

That singer John Mellencamp would be proud of that pink house.:D

LOL you know another member of another forum I had this posted on said the same kinda thing, but i dont remember if he mentioned the same singer. Did he sing about a pink house or something?

well you model looks excelent, but i do have a suggestion

alot of the time near contruction zones and places where work trucks meet the highway, there is mud or dirt on the road.

He's in california, over there in the republic having dirt on public roads from any construction is a massive fine

Well its been a long while since I posted progress on this, and well I nearly finished it lol. All that is left to do is add the wood stickers under the pre-fab wall panels so there not just sitting on the floor. And well, Ill let the pictures speak for themselves :D

SL373712.jpg

SL373713.jpg

SL373714.jpg

SL373715.jpg

SL373716.jpg

SL373717.jpg

SL373719.jpg

SL373721.jpg

SL373722.jpg

SL373723.jpg

SL373724.jpg

SL373725.jpg

SL373726.jpg

SL373727.jpg

SL373728.jpg

SL373729.jpg

SL373730.jpg

SL373731.jpg

SL373732.jpg

SL373733.jpg

SL373734.jpg

SL373735.jpg

SL373736.jpg

SL373737.jpg

SL373738.jpg

SL373739.jpg

SL373740.jpg

SL373742.jpg

SL373743.jpg

SL373744.jpg

SL373746.jpg

SL373747.jpg

SL373748.jpg

SL373749.jpg

SL373750.jpg

SL373751.jpg

SL373753.jpg

SL373754.jpg

SL373756.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just noticed that a few of the pics came out pretty dang blurry lol. Ill leave them anyways :eek:

The last thing that will be done for now is surrounding the diorama in plexi-glass, which I already have gotten. Will report back when that is finished, and then again when its all the wall and wired up with the power source for the lights :D

I was bummed out there for a while when it almost seemed like you were gone. I always look forward to your work and pics. I guess you've managed to not let your girlfriend suck up all your funds (;

Keep up the good work...

I did get the smaller Norscot CAT excavator in there, pulled it from my CAT equipment rental yard on another module :D

This diorama will be mounted at eye level to get the full perspective view of the diorama. I have asked a few people, including my dad and a few Friends to look at it from normal height and then get right down at eye level, and they all said do it at eye level because it really changes the look of the whole thing and makes it look that much cooler and realistic!

thanks for the comments Jim :D Dang your right! I dont have a pair of flaggers! I dont think anyone makes them though :confused:[/QUOTE]

~Preiser has some guys in orange vests and hard hats that are in positions to be holding flags. I almost bought them last time I was on Zyconmodels.com

As for an excavator, IMHO, the Herpa one is a great size. Bigger then the Norscot ones...~

Josh, that turned out to be quite a diorama for your girlfriend...heh...she must be quite a detail hound. :) Nice job and lots of great scenes.

Chris, I think those are Walthers street lights like these: vhttp://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2308.

Excellent job there Josh! Even the pink house with the blue windows looks good. Showed the pics to my wife and she hinted she would love something like that. See what you started? LOL. I told her as soon as my layout was finished I'd do one for her. That ought to get me off the hook for a few hundred years at least. ;)

Excellent job there Josh! Even the pink house with the blue windows looks good. Showed the pics to my wife and she hinted she would love something like that. See what you started? LOL. I told her as soon as my layout was finished I'd do one for her. That ought to get me off the hook for a few hundred years at least. ;)

Either that or maybe the real thing...

Back