A+B units, walthers or athearn?

NYSW F45

Im looking into getting a set of either E8A+B or F7A+B for christmas along with the new genesis nysw F45. But im not sure which brand to go with? If I go with the E8 i think proto 2000 is the only brand right now thats made. If I go with the F7 i can go P2K and Athearn. Which runs better and has better details?

and also how long are the E8's? the F7's are i think roughly 18 total for a/b units.

Also does any detail company out there have a front coupler delete so you can have a smooth pilot?

Well there's always the Rivarossi E9's on eBay (ick).

I have the P2K E8/9's and I love them, though they have no run time yet, as they're still in construction phases.

I'm interested in the P2K E units as well - I've seen eBay auctions with two different pilots included, just not sure what the difference is between them.

Mark

P2K E-8's come with hidden coupler pilots if that what was used on the prototype. The undecorated version comes with both versions. The E-8 is 70's feet long compared to 52 feet so they are noticeably bigger. They are not tolerant of curves less than 22" and like 26" better.

The new Athearn F units have detail every bit as good as the P2K E units. The only downside would be if you want sound. The sound system in the P2K unit is better than Athearn's. My personal preference would be F units, since you can use the in dual service. There's a reason why the Santa Fe has so few E units and so many F units on passenger trains. I have a really nice A-B set of BLI E-7 units iwth sound but, unless I want to haul out all the passenger cars, they sit in the display case, which is kind of a waste.

I saw the rivarossi units and thought about them for a minute. Only cause they actually have them in NJT colors for when NJT had E8's back in the 80's.

But i would like sound, but I can't afford the DCC/sound versions, neither can the fiance. We just moved out and on a tight budget.

The E or F units I get will probably be undecorated since I want to paint them for my fictional railraod the New Jersey, Atlantic & Eastern. They will be on display first till i sign up for the local model railroad club then i'll run them. So I want to make sure whatever I get will fit on 1 shelf for display along with my other power. But I know I want atleast an A+A set, if not A+B+A and if I can afford it and it fits A+B+B+A. I doubt Es will fit but we'll see.

I got the new walthers catalog in my truck so while im out railfanning later i'll breeze thru it.

Steve,

I gotta say I've had no troubles with my Athearn F7's. I started with undecorated units, detailed them up, painted them. Reworked the motors a bit (2 are powered) and they look OK to me.

100_1141.jpg

Back