8-40cb??

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I am considering a bit of a kitbash project. I have plenty of 8-40CW's and I just saw on the walthers site that there is a B unit conversion kit for a GE B30-7. Is this workable onto the sill of a CW unit? Any other suggestions of how I might go about converting one of these to a B unit? Thanks for any input, Chris

Anybody??? Im sure somebody has some sorta idea of what I am wanting to do here...

Anybody??? Im sure somebody has some sorta idea of what I am wanting to do here...

2hrs 32min, I would say 'no' on the kit, it is contoured for the weird shaped roof of the Railpower B23-7 shell. It doesn't even fit the Atlas version of the same model.

Why have anyone here tell you how to do it? There isn't a photo of a real one so nobody can tell you you screwed it up. Just take off what doesn't look like it belongs and replace it with something you like.

Does anyone know if there was a high hood GE unit with a similar roofline as the 8-40CW?

Since theirs no prototype, just have fun with it! I'm getting ready to build a SD40T-2B for someone and theirs no prototype for that either.

I might just have to scratchbuild somethin completely out of styrene n see how it turns out...

8-40CW B unit conversion!

OK guys...I got a lil bored today and somewhat determined. You are now seeing the first ever 8-40CB!!! I started with a Spectrum unit, removed the cab, shaved off the skirting that holds the cab on and then went to work filling in the ends of the battery boxes and under where the AC unit used to be. Then made new sills where the cab used to be and then scratchbult the new B unit cab. Added a few details so far, still a few more to do, and then off to the paintshop!!

I saw one 8-40CW all painted up in WP colors today, cant wait till its all done, and I think this unit will also look super cool in WP colors as well!!

Nope. It's still has to be shipped to me. And I have a few other projects to finish up first.

Do you have plans for doors down there? Seems like there would be doors.

On B units like this what would they do with that space? In an A unit it had all kinds of cab hardware like chairs, consoles, aircon, etc - that isn't necessary in the B. Do they just leave it empty? Store tools? Spare parts? Fuel? Bunks? Smuggle weed?

I have doors on order for this and plan to put 2 tall and 1 short on each side at the front of the nose (on the side). This area would be used for electronics, and could also be used for tool storage and also extra MU hoses, knuckles n the like...

Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it alot. I thought it would be to do something completely origional and so far I like how its turned out. All I have added so far is MU hoses and pin lifters, but as soon as I get the doors in and the A-line brass steps on I will put up some pics!

I've seen someone do AC4400CW in a cabless model. I think it was shown a western prototype modelers event. Somoene had a bunch of crazy kit bashes, even an articulated dash 9!! :eek::eek:

There are some B-B+B-B narrow gauge dash 9s in Brasil, are those the "articulated Dash 9s" you were thinking of?

no, i've seen those. an asian gentleman made those and they are incredible pieces of work. What I meant is someone went crazy. Those scale drawings on that one railroad site has some work that people made some crazy stuff. Someone actually made a dash 9 with one of those accordian type middles and I thought i saw like a 16 axle ge also.

Back