#6's and passenger cars?

mike8693

I was planning on going with number 8's but I dont think i could cram them in. Can i run passenger cars probably 75 feet through them withought to much problem?

You should be okay. If the cars have fixed coupler pockets you may need to use long shank couplers for more reliable operation.

If you have a crossover I would recommend #8's for it, as the 's' in the crossover is though on long cars.

I've got Atlas #6 switches and they will handle 80' Rivarossi passenger cars without a problem. Backing them through the switch is a little more touchy but it can be done. The main thing is to make sure your switches are all coming off at least 12" of straight track. Switches near curves are the ones most likely to give problems with longer rolling stock. Filing the points to make them nice and sharp and making sure the switch and frogs are in gauge is also important for smooth operation.

Thanks guys. I think i can get number 8's in for crossovers. I will maybe run 1 passenger trains to 4 freight so I just want to the option there.

Back