60' Harriman on 18" radius?

FM C liner

Hey everyone,
I just posted my issue I created by purchasing the wrong size passenger cars for my layout. I am wondeing if a 60' Harriman car will run and look good on 18" radius? I found some roundhouse kits on ebay and was wondering if that might work. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.

Scott:cool:

If they are the Roundhouse Harriman's I'm thinking of and have tucked away, then yes, because they are shorter than the regular cars so they do look good on 18 inch curves. A few model figures by the windows and the realism is quite passable
Cheers
Willis

Anything would be an improvement to running 85 foot cars on an 18" radius. I doubt you want to change your layout, so the shorter cars would be the way to go. I built my layout with a minimum radius of 32" and an 85' car is what I would call acceptable. I wouldn't mind finding a few 60' passenger cars myself.

Hey everyone,
I just posted my issue I created by purchasing the wrong size passenger cars for my layout. I am wondeing if a 60' Harriman car will run and look good on 18" radius? I found some roundhouse kits on ebay and was wondering if that might work. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.

Scott:cool:

Yes they will fit and I would recommend them. I have several strings of them. With a few simple detail upgrades the older ones are quite nice. The newer ones have these upgrades and just need diaphragms added, though they are quite a bit more expensive that the original kits.

Montanan,
You are so right, when these arrived I went wow that is pretty long!!!!!! So I will move on, I found some roundhouse kits on ebay for a good price, they are 60' cars and it should be fun putting them together. I will now have to sell these IHC cars to see if can get some of my money back before my wife kills me. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Espeefan,
Thanks for the reply, I am going with the roundhouse kits and I now need to sell these IHC cars. It is all a learning experience. Thanks again for the help.

Scott

The roundhouse cars have no problem working on 18" radius, I have some of the newer release cars and they run great on my shortline, which has 18" turns! I would go try and find some Athearn Heavyweight or stream lined cars, they are pretty good on smaller layouts! And pretty cheap too!

FM C Liner:

I don't hesitate to run my 85' cars on 18' radius curves-they are in PRR and fit the kind of operations I try to replicate. While I know that the cars really need a larger radius, only another model railroader would also know that. So, I'll run what I have because it's bought and paid for, fits my era and won't get replaced otherwise.

I run some 85' cars intermixed with a lot of Athearn 72' streamline and heavyweight passenger cars, as well as Con-Cor 72' cars on 18" radius curves. I leave the truck-mounted couplers on most of them, but they don't run well when PUSHED; okay when being pulled. For my Empire Builder, where I "need" to run a full-length dome, I run it between several Athearn streamlined passenger cars, without problems. Nothing wrong with your Harriman cars unless you want to run into the streamliner era.

Back