$50 Athearn Covered Hopper

Think thats bad, I just saw a pair of E&C MRL Woodchip cars go for over $80!!! For just a pair of unweathered cars. No that is rediculous.

I went thru Athearn's web site and did not see that hopper with the same paint and lettering. Is it an out of production or a custom paint.
Most of the RI hoppers i found were blue body black lettering.

I think it was WC Fields that said there is a sucker born every min.

I've seen the seller's work on ebay before, the opening bid seemed reasonable. But, the winner bid to $150 from the outset, and folks chipped away so that guy paid nearly the full premium.....

Kennedy

I have spent up to 50 on a few of mine but they were ones I like and they did a really good job on the weathering. However I have started weathering my own cars and am just going to start buying sets and weathering them to my own liking. I buy mostly engines on Ebay as I have found a few good deals on a few. I got a broadway Limited M1-A for 230. It has sounds and DCC built in and was weathered. New they cost a few dollars more so I got somewhat of a deal on. I also got two SP SD45T-2's one is a road number that Is a real locomotive that I have taken more pictures of then any other out there, 9330. its now a CEFX engine thought. I got it for 91 dollars and I got a nother RD number 9194 for 78 dollars. My latest additions are a Track Cleaning car that is a vintage piece that I got for 45, and a Southern Pacific 4 piece Work Train, I also got for just under 50, I guess how much you pay is how bad you really want something.
I was looking at some Ho Scale Toy trucks that are going for 400 dollars a piece and that is not even with a trailer. Of course they are of a much higher level of detail that one has seen in the HO scale.

Yes but it also depends on how bad you really want the item and how much someone else is willing to bid on that same something. I normaly compare it to the buy now stuff. however if its a rare item I may pay more for it. I payed 90 bucks for a Southern Pacific SD45T-2 road number 9330 but I have seen the real engine many times and infact is the most photographed engine in my collection. I got the same engine but differant road number for 20 bucks less a week later. However I have found a few good deals here and there. I am an over the road trucker and getting to stores that sell Railroad stuff is very hard to get to. I buy most of what I buy online as I have a laptop with me and can do my shopping right from the truck.

Does the high diesel prices limit you on how much idling you can do? Or, are you hooked up at one of those big stops where you can plug into their island for power and heat?

Kennedy

I dont own the truck. I am a company driver so I dont worry about Fuel cost any. I dont even buy gas for my own car anymore as I dont go anywhere when I go home. I sit at home and well everything I need is just a block away, The Grocery Store, Bar, Liquer Store, What more do I need lol. If I need anything else I buy online and make them send it to me. I am now a friend of the US mail, UPS and Fed Ex.
Talking about locomotive prices. I had a guy bid a SP SW 1500 above 100 dollars. I stoped bidding let him win it and found a Speedlettered one at Hobby line for 39 Bucks. Sorry for who ever wanted it but I wanted it too. Dont ever bid against me. Eather I will have it or you pay thru the nose for it.
Just like the GP-9's listed The guy had them all bid up to 70 dollars and I wanted one. I bid everyone of them up so I can get the one I want. I am not being mean. I just know what I want, and I am going to get it. I was very selfish when I was a kid. I was very stubborn and always got my way.

Does the high diesel prices limit you on how much idling you can do? Or, are you hooked up at one of those big stops where you can plug into their island for power and heat?

Kennedy

On another note. I have a Generator on the truck. Its a Carrier unit like the refer unit, only its smaller and mounted in a box on the frame. It runs 110 v outlets, heat and air in cab. I can run a microwave or anything else off of it.
Look up Rigmaster and you will see a simular unit.

I know somebody who's a long-haul driver for a company, and their drivers are being told to watch their idling times, due to diesel prices.

Kennedy

Either that or you enter California and you cannot idle (well, you CAN for certain reasons, such as PTO use...).

Think thats bad, I just saw a pair of E&C MRL Woodchip cars go for over $80!!! For just a pair of unweathered cars. No that is rediculous.

Well those are hard to come by. I just piked up 4 of them for about $80 after shipping and that is far more than I wanted to pay but what do you do when you want them and can't find them.

I just picked up that same RI hopper in a set of 8 others for that price on Ebay. I was even thinking of repainting it to BN or BNSF but now "WOW" I'm going to contact that guy and offer it to him for $49.99! Think he'll bite?

Wow your all right about Ebay. I just picked up a Genisis Engine that yes is powered for less then 20 bucks, I also just picked up three SP Boxcars for less then 4.00 a piece and the cheapest going for 1.04. I really think its due to how much is going for sale and how many people are bidding on everything. I have a few low bids on a few other items and we will see how they go.

You can get some real good deals on eBay, but you have to know what you're doing (as in, knowlegeable about the price), and be lucky. I've gotten some super deals as well, a lot of them were luck in that nobody else put in a bid.

I generally go for the custom stuff, or buildings. Stuff you won't find in the hobby shops. On some buildings, you know you got a good deal when the nice building price is less than the shipping cost (and I'm talking about valid shipping cost, not the inflateds).

Kennedy

Back