40+ year Locomotives

Phillip66

I recently bought a large assortment of engines and rolling stock. I found that a few of the old engines wheel assemblies were not permanently attached. They literally slide off and on spin that is cast into the frame. Is there supposed to be a keeper for the pin?

2nd question, four of these old engines appears to need a band of sort from the motor to the wheels. If I’m correct in that where can I purchase them?

thanks to all that may help.

It sounds like some of your engines may be incomplete, if I understand your question correctly about the old wheel assemblies there should be a cover that holds things in place. Best include a photo. Also, if the brand of the locomotive is apparent that would be good information.

The second question about the rubber band drives, I noticed someone else on the forum posted about a Galloping Goose where he replaced a rubber band drive,

HOn3 Galloping Goose by Balboa​

I have heard about these rubber band drives, sounds like a lot of them around. I think early Athearn's had them.

Dave

Some of the early Bachmann locos had a pin that slid through the bull gear and held the truck on. The shell held the pins in. Someone taking the shell off and tilting the engine nearly guaranteed the pin falling out.

The band issue is a common one. I have a new way of dealing with them. I take an old, blue, 'rubber glove' and slice the smallest finger off. Then slice it into bands. I have had a unit in service for 3 years now with no trouble.

VsG1Pet[1].jpg

Attachments

• uuAdRuL[1].jpg
    uuAdRuL[1].jpg
    239 KB · Views: 63
  • 2UmYbkx[1].jpg
    2UmYbkx[1].jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
It came to me when I was reading about someone using nitrile o-rings for belts and then seeing the word 'nitrile' describing those blue gloves. I grabbed a couple pairs of small size gloves and the rest is above. The big thing for me is that you replace those using store bought belts and in a years they are crumbling away. So far my original loco is 3 years out and the 'glove' belts are holding up OK.

Plus you don't have to lay out any $$$. I am all about doing it on the cheap.

Back