2012 National Narrow Gauge Convention

bob

Administrator
Staff member
The 2012 National Narrow Gauge Convention is in Bellevue, WA.

Today they visited the Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad, and they had some wonderful weather. We put on a pretty good show for them, at least in my opinion.

I was the trip coordinator, and we managed to do 3 photo runbys along with a nice long tour of the shops and restoration facility.

Here's the second runby.

We then pulled up into the yard and did another runby.

Here the engines put on a good show for the photo line.

The geared locomotive on today's train looks like a Shay, but it's actually a Willamette. These were constructed when Shay's patents ran out, and are very close to the same design.

Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad is one of the few places around to have all three types in the collection (Shay/Willamette, Heisler and Climax.) We're the ONLY place, as far as I know, that has all three types in operating condition. I'm positive we have the only operating Willamette, but even if you consider it to be a "Shay Type", nowhere that I know of can operate all three. Cass has a Climax, but it's not operable at this time.

We scored some points today by pulling the Heisler and Climax out of the shed and into the sun for photos. They weren't under steam, but it's rare to even see these type of locomotives.

Vintage Look. The Mt Rainier Scenic RR works hard to preserve railroad history and create vintage scenes. Here's a couple shots from today.

We did one more runby on the trip home. It was the best one of the day in my opinion, with a good location and great light!

Back