2 sound decorders?

LATX

I was wondering is it possible to put two sound decorders in a HO scale engine with different sounds or no

Thanks IN Advance

sure it is. just set each sound decoder to its own address and you may want to add 2 speakers if you want to hear both decoders at the same time...

i had thought about something like this if I ever build my NJ Transit GP40PH-2B engine. Would need the primemover decoder and then a second sound decoder just for the HEP motor that is always screeming.

Has no sound decoder manufacturer done a loco with HEP effect?

Considering any modern passenger loco needs that...

(A GP40 with HEP should have the same sound as an F40PH. Same prime mover.)

EDIT: Actually, the HEP is just a different alternator/generator run off the main prime mover. There's only one diesel engine with two generators. Really, you just need it to never drop to idle, since the engine keeps going to power the HEP generator.

Last edited by a moderator:

EDIT: Actually, the HEP is just a different alternator/generator run off the main prime mover. There's only one diesel engine with two generators. Really, you just need it to never drop to idle, since the engine keeps going to power the HEP generator.

Yes and no. The F40PHs, P32AC-DMs, P40DCs, P42DCs, and MP36PH-3S all run HEP from the prime mover. The F40PHs run HEP from the main generator so the prime mover is always running at the equivalent of notch 8.

The the GE Genesis (P32/40/42DC) and the MP36PH-3S use static inverters to generate HEP so they "idle" at the equivalent of notch 3.

The F40PH-2C, F40PH-2CAT, F59PH, F59PHI, and the rest of the MPXpress series locomotives all have a separate diesel engine in the rear supplying HEP to reduce wear and tear on the prime mover and so that in the event of an engine failure, the passengers still have heat, air conditioning, and electricity.

All of NJ Transits HEP powered GP40's have a seperate diesel CAT motor to power the hep.

Here is a link to NJT 4200

You can see at the rear where the custom radiator section is for the CAT diesel's cooling system. Older NJT gp's were originally used during the CNJ days and had a steam generator in that same spot. CR rebuilt there fleet back in the 80's and 90's and did this conversion you see now.

I would ultimately like to get the exact length of the frame and such to see if Chris from Railflyer could piece together a frame/walkway combo. That or i'de have to hack up some athearn frames, mill some stuff and then weld back together.

Back