2 n scale layouts

I am soon going to start building a 6x4 modern era n scale layout and a small 2x5 transitiion era swicthing layout right now i dont have any transtion era locos except for 2 bachman f units
I will need some help as i have never really built a layout before

Are you planning on connecting the two or are they stand-alone and independent of each other? Those are a good size for N scale. Have you looked into NTrak in your area? That six footer would be nice as long as you follow their 3 track spacing on the front.

Especially if you have never built a layout before, I would suggest you build one layout, then the other. They both sound great, but trying to do 2 at the same time could be tough. First off, you will make a bunch of "mistakes" along the way.......some will be things that are "OK" but you wish you had done them differently, others will be major "oops" that will need to be fixed to get the layout to work properly. It's better to do your learning on the first layout, THEN do the second. Also , there is cost.......at 12, I'm guessing you don't have unlimited funds (none of us do) so I'd try to spend your money on just one layout at a time. Nothing is more frustrating than a half finished layout, let alone TWO half finished layouts. AT LEAST do all the track and wiring on one before you start the second.......at least that way you can start running trains. Ask all the questions you want. Good luck!

There is a huge amount of information on the Internet about model railroading. One place to start is the National Model Railroad Association's beginner pages:
http://nmra.org/beginner/

I also recommend starting with one layout. This will be your "learning" layout where you can try out different techniques and learn from your own mistakes. And there WILL be mistakes -- we all make them!

- Jeff

Heres the progress on the layout its a mess image.jpg image.jpg

It's good to see your progress! Are you able to run trains, yet?

By the way, my layout is about as messy as yours.

- Jeff

Ok wait a minute. Are you 13? Your title says 12. Your sig says 13. Either way, you have a really nice layout going there. Did you have much help? Please keep posting your progress young man. I think for your age you are knocking this out of the park. Keep it up!

Im 13 i just hvent changed it so im doing kato unitrack for the main and atlas track for the industrial sections i should have a vid up on youtube soon right now im only filming with my i-pad

Back