0 Scale Telegraph/phone pole construction

cruikshank

Our club is looking to built probably 100 telegraph,phone/utility poles. Can anyone tell me the actual dimensions circa 1920-1940's point me to a plan or issue with scale dimensions. Also if you did run wires what did you use? Our current plan is stained dowels, balsa stock for the crossarms and glass beads for the insulators. Thanks in advance for any feedback, Dave

Go to http://www.drgwrr.com/pages/Telegraph Poles.html for a great tutorial on how to make O scale telegraph poles.

When it comes to the question of stringing wires, I'm on the "Don't do it" side of the arguement. In O scale, the lack of wire is more obvious than in HO but the viwer's eye willstill have atendency to fill them in. No matter what material you use, someone will reach for a derailed car and it will then be time to call for the wire gang to make about 30 minutes of repair. Doing this can get old fast. I've had both wires and no wires and having wires was way more trouble than it was worth except in specific foreground areas where I was sure I wouldn't be putting my and through them everytime I moved something.

Back