Search results

1. McLeod

Whitecourt Mimicry in HO

Hello I was close to turning 65yrs in February of 2020, when I was standing on a snow-hill over-looking the CN tracks in Whitecourt, Alberta. Up until that point, I had never noticed a whole lot about trains. Then one came by, at a speed that I thought was away too fast for in town travel. I...
  2. McLeod

I'll Raise You Two Boxcars

Hello. Here is a pre-1965 photograph of a young mother and child waiting for the train at the CN Whitecourt 3rd class depot. The photograph is very interesting in general, however, I'm mostly interested in the two background boxcars sitting on the raised platform in a field grass. I wonder...
  3. McLeod

HO Electrofrog Turnouts

I have read some very unfavorable discussion in regards to the installation of electrofrog turnouts on any given layout. I won't mention the names of authors, but, I have read similar to this: - Electrofrog turnouts are banned from the clubs layout. - If you want a nightmare, install...
  4. McLeod

Soldering - Plain and Simple

Thought I'd share a basic rundown on how to solder, or more precisely, how I solder. Being it right or wrong, the technique described here seems to work very well. Soldering is simply the melting in of an alloy in order to join metal surfaces. Nothing to be afraid of. In this case, I'm going to...
  5. McLeod

On-Rail Detail #2 - 66'5" Tank Car, PROX 41879

This tank car is owned by Procor Limited (PROX), and was BLT 05-92. The information that I can find on this particular car suggests it is classed as a general purpose, welded tank car. A DOT placard 1230-3 signifies it is carrying methanol. These photographs were taken September 26, 2020, at...
  6. McLeod

On-Rail Detail #1 - 2Bay Covered Hopper

Thought I'd start a railway prototype in detail photographic series, using my own photographs. I hope there is some interest in these type of photograph for the discerning modeler. My first offering in the series is a 2-bay covered hopper owned by the Wells Fargo Rail Corporation (WFRX). The...
  7. McLeod

First Spruce for the Forest

After seeing the cost of decent manufactured trees, I was convinced that I would either have to win the lottery or make my own forest. Making my own is the only real option, because the lottery gods seem to favor others. So I watched a few videos and read some post to learn how to make models...
  8. McLeod

I Went For a Walk...

down by the tracks, to see what I could see. This following my very recent and sudden interest in trains and railroad modelling after many years worth of plastic and R/C aircraft modelling. I suspect this interest was triggered involuntarily after I purchased my grandson one of the Bachmann HO...
  9. McLeod

Can Experience Please Tell Me?

I decided in December, to get my grandkids a train set for Christmas, not knowing diddly about trains or train sets. Little did I know that effort would ignite a desire in myself to pursue the hobby in a far more grand scale. It was probably a mistake to buy one of the train sets with that...
  10. McLeod

Accuracy in a Locomotive?!!

In no way am I attempting to be negative towards a manufacturer. I'm very new here, and green, and I just don't know. Here I am trying to plan out my very first HO layout, with a mind to model the 10yr period between 1955-65, and basing the start of the layout on actual CN infrastructure in my...
  11. McLeod

An Alberta Beginner

Hi! I'm new here, and a total greenhorn in the trains hobby. I have considerable experience in the R/C aircraft hobby, but, nothing in trains. Since I am retired, I thought I might get involved with the train hobby. It gets harder every year to locate decent R/C airfields close to where I live...

Back