Search results

1. Dunalastair

Mostly Vintage 00 Three Rail

The view from above: And how it can be separated into three boards if needed:
  2. Dunalastair

Some night time shots:
  3. Dunalastair

What is this 70s Tyco?

That's the beauty of running vintage equipment. You can work on it yourself and get it running with a minimum of equipment. Most of the current H0 and 00 models can't be properly worked on unless you have some watchmakers' tools.
  4. Dunalastair

Marklin Passenger Cars (real nice)

Which is what I like about Hornby Dublo (the original company, 1938-1964) coaches, other than their Pullmans. Nothing looks more like painted metal than painted metal.
  5. Dunalastair

First layout, 4x8

I should add that my layout is vintage 3 rail. If it was two rail, I wouldn't have used a reverse loop.
  6. Dunalastair

First layout, 4x8

If you're prepared to put up with small radius curves, you can do a double track layout. Mine's on 8'x4' and here's the plan I came up with:
  7. Dunalastair

This is the plan of the layout - very old school in concept. The board is 8'x4' and can be separated into three sections if it needs to be taken out of the room (which proved useful when we had the house re-carpeted). A reverse loop is simple with three rail - you don't have to worry about...
  8. Dunalastair

It's Hornby Dublo, manufactured in Liverpool, England by Meccano Ltd, from 1938 to 1964. The track is very much like Marklin track from their 3 rail (as opposed to stud contact) era.
  9. Dunalastair

And three more:
  10. Dunalastair

As this seems to be the section of the forum where we share photographs of our models and layouts, here's some of mine:
  11. Dunalastair

Marklin HO Flying Scotsman!

I agree it is a beautiful model, and far superior it seems (I say it like that because I have only seen the photographs to judge it from) to the Hornby one. It's just a shame that it's aimed at a market that doesn't exist.
  12. Dunalastair

I don't have a problem with the restored locomotive being finished in BR green, as it is arguably more appropriate than having it in LNER green, but I do see it as a missed marketing opportunity not to have a version of the H0 model in LNER green. The market for British locomotives in H0is...
  13. Dunalastair

An LNER green version would probably also find customers in Australia. As 4472, she visited and ran in Australia in 1988. And Australian models are in H0 as well, rather than 00, so it wouldn't look out of proportion as an 00 one would. I don't think anyone much in Australia would want an H0...
  14. Dunalastair

Can oval layouts bring enough satisfaction?

Can oval layouts bring enough satisfaction? Yes and no. It depends on what your interests are. If you are into prototypical timetabled (or sequence) operation, then building a layout consisting of one or more ovals of track would be wrong for you. If you want to see a short train ambling...
  15. Dunalastair

Christmas Trees, Trains and More

It does vary a bit but, to give a short answer, it’s more than one person can eat, and a lot of it is fried. Typical ingredients are: eggs; potato scones; Lorne sausage, bacon; sausage; slice of haggis; tomatoes (grilled or fried); black pudding; mushrooms; Polony; fried bread or toast. Me? I...
  16. Dunalastair

Hi from Ont Canada.

One thing I can't quite follow - you are planning a 3 rail layout and are looking for used 2 rail track?
  17. Dunalastair

Dublo 2 to 3 rail conversion

Hi. The easiest Dublo locomotives to convert to 3 rail are the Duchess, A4, West Country, 0-6-2T and diesel shunter. They were produced for both 2 and 3 rail and the chassis is the same for both, so the mounting points for the 3 rail pickup are there waiting to be used. You will have to...
  18. Dunalastair

What Online Hobby Retailers do you do business with?

I have bought a lot of second hand stuff on eBay, as the bulk of my collection (locomotives, rolling stock, track and even buildings) is 3 rail Hornby Dublo (made from 1947 to 1964) which is not the sort of thing you often find in a retail outlet. I have also bought three DJH kits direct from...
  19. Dunalastair

Do You Belong to a Model Railroad Club?

It's all three rail 00, mostly 55 to 70 years old but with a few modern items converted to run on 3 rail track.
  20. Dunalastair

Do You Belong to a Model Railroad Club?

I'm not in a model railway club and never have been. In any case, as my collection is all 3 rail, if I were a member of a club, I wouldn't be able to bring along any of my locomotives or rolling stock, as they would short circuit everything..... Nothing to do with trains, but I have been a...

Back