Search results

1. Breor47

Drop a locomotive lately?

I have never dropped anything, but I have had things dropped. I was showing one of my steam locomotives off to a friend who didn't seem that interested in the hobby. Evidently he was interested enough to pick up the locomotive when I was out of the room, and he managed to drop it! For such a...
  2. Breor47

The novice has a question

Though metal wheels are a tad bit better, I think the difference is pretty much negligible... you shouldn't have to clean either type more than once every five years, and a good set of plastic wheels can roll just as smoothly as metal wheels (IMO). Metal wheels probably add a little weight to...
  3. Breor47

Wiring for a Proposed HO Layout

Hello all. I've been looking in to the Zephyr Xtra (from Digitrax). I'm far more comfortable with its price ($170.00 new on eBay) than I am with the prices of pretty much everything else I've seen, and it seems to have all of the features everything else has (just slightly less power, but my...
  4. Breor47

HO Pocher 2-4-0 "J.W. Bowker" Steam Locomotive

Interesting! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I have the chance. I figure that I might not have to replace it with another cold water pump; I could put something outlandish on the top of mine!
  5. Breor47

Micro Mark scewed up.......

With regards to whether or not the customer should accept a simple apology: As a general statement, the customer is owed what they bought at what they bought it for, and not to be deceived. Beyond that, how MM decides to handle the internal issues is up to them. If they take action and better...
  6. Breor47

I like how this could be taken either way. For all I know, you could be a recently retired astronaut :-) If I'm opting with DCC, the question then becomes "what DCC system shall I use"? I think this question is probably the most common on the forum, so I'll try to do my research tonight and...
  7. Breor47

Thank you both for your detailed replies! __________________________________ @ Iron Horseman: I figured that the way we had wired my previous layout was bogus (granted, my explanation may not have done it justice either). I looked up block control this morning, as you suggested, and, as you...
  8. Breor47

HO Pocher 2-4-0 "J.W. Bowker" Steam Locomotive

I recently uncovered a 2-4-0 Steam Locomotive from my collection. It's the J.W. Bowker, made in the 1970s by Pocher. Interestingly enough, I've heard that it's a OO locomotive that runs on HO track. It's got very large wheel flanges that will prevent it from running smoothly over the turnouts on...
  9. Breor47

My N-Scale Layout [Pictures]

Thanks for the comments, guys; always appreciated. I'm very happy with the layout, but I think my picture-taking needs some work!
  10. Breor47

Hello all! About six months ago, I tore down my old HO scale layout. It was a 4x8 built with the help of my Dad that never really worked. The track had been reused several times over (never a good idea, I learned) and we had made a bunch of rookie mistakes that, collectively, hindered...
  11. Breor47

As promised, a few more photos. Parking Lot #1 Parking Lot #2 Dry Ice Cars Farmer's Cottage
  12. Breor47

HO Locomotive Strange Construction

Thanks for this; managed to wriggle it open just now. I will be following your lead, however, and beveling the clips down before I put the shell back on. With regards to the screws connecting the chassis to the motor, I suppose I misjudged what connected to what. :-P Was sure thinking they...
  13. Breor47

Trainworld exceeded my expectations today.

Glad to hear that others are having positive experiences with TrainWorld. I haven't made any purchases from them yet, but poked around tonight on their website and saw some good prices. I need to get four bridge kits for the layout I'm working on... maybe I'll buy them from TW.
  14. Breor47

Hi all. Thought I would finally reveal my N-Scale setup to you all. It's a modest thing, but that helps me keep it all fixed up and running! This is my first time photographing my layout, so comments & critiques appreciated! Whole Layout Layout Top-Down Behind Town Crossing the Bridge...
  15. Breor47

HO Locomotive Strange Construction

I don't think there's an easier task than replacing a coupler... unless you're talking about replacing a coupler on the locomotive I have here. The coupler boxes on this one are formed by both the metal base, as one might call it, and the plastic shell. The two press together and form a little...
  16. Breor47

My 2nd Suspension Bridge

A very nice bridge indeed; great work!
  17. Breor47

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

When the site went down, I was just about to open a thread I really wanted to read... had to wait three hours before I could find out more than just the title. I kept the tab open to refresh every once in a while.
  18. Breor47

First N scale critique

If you're thinking about derailments, my Uni-track switches have been pretty good about that. Only get the occasional derailment from them, and that's usually due to a low-hanging coupler catching the rail. If you are thinking about manual switching, it looks like he has them wired up to the...
  19. Breor47

First N scale critique

Looks like you are using Kato Uni-track here; if so, good choice. I don't think you'll have many problems with it, aside from at the crossover. I used Uni-track on my N Scale layout and am pretty happy with that choice. I have had some small problems with longer locomotives going around my inner...
  20. Breor47

Compact HO Layout

Thanks for all of your tips. My general experience with layout construction is pretty low (in comparison to most folks on this forum, at least). I figured that I would probably go with Atlas track due to the wide selection and the supposedly straightforward assembly. Flex track sounds like it...

Back