Search results

1. L

Help with Walthers Trainline Alco FA-1 - runs slow/needs new horns - but what type?

Hi All, Well I eventually got around to cleaning my loco. My wife had me working the weekend on furniture moving. She bought a piece of furniture - so of course we had to rearrange the entire house to fit it into an already empty space - go figure. Anyhoo, I'd like to report a complete...
  2. L

Help with Walthers Trainline Alco FA-1 - runs slow/needs new horns - but what type?

JimT, Thanks for the feedback. I really haven't had much experience in maintaining anything until this point - is just build up a basic layout and concentrated on getting the track and trains to run on it. Now, I have the task of keeping things working and that 's a whole new ballgame for me...
  3. L

Carey, Thanks for that info - it gives me something to fill my Sunday. I'm going to try and drop the trucks enough to degrease them without cutting the wire if possible. You should see my soldering technique - not pretty. However, I'll check to see if I can just disconnect them from the top...
  4. L

Carey, The inside was a bit grungy - like a whitish yellow grease - still soft but like butter really. I don't want that in there if I can clean it out - but I don't know how. If I remove the two clips (show by the red arrow in the picture below) will that allow me to drop the trucks an get...
  5. L

JimT, I usually use 100 grit sandpaper to clean em - just kidding. I have never heard of a wheel bath - do you mean clean them - or is there a process whereby you can clean them properly? Louis, I didn't know that liquid bearings was so versatile - I was told it was good for gearing on HO...
  6. L

Carey, I checked the bottom of the trucks and hey-presto there were two tiny clips about 1/8" to flip open. I thought they were solid - as I'm used to the life-like trucks with the big open clips you can't miss. Sweet - so I'll pop them open and take a look. THX, Chris.
  7. L

Carey, I got a set of single chime horns (made by details west) that looked right - THX. Now all I need to do is add a turbocharger to the can motor and we're done!
  8. L

Hi Carey, Here are some photos. As you can see the top is "baldy" and yes I think it was single chime horns on it originally. I run twin MRC Sound and Power 7000's on the 2 "mainlines" - other trains run well on either mainline - but this one is a bit slow. I'll try to check for grease in the...
  9. L

I have a Walthers Trainline Alco FA-1 which is not running as well as I expected - maybe its okay but I just need another opinion. How do you know if there is a problem with the motor - how do you gauge what is should be capable of? It's pretty heavy for a small loco at 1lb so maybe its just a...
  10. L

Spring Training Has Begun!

As a Brit it may seem strange but I used to go to Yankee Stadium to watch baseball - of course that was when Joe Torre was the manager for the Yankees - in the mid ninety's. Beer was $5 for a small plastic cup (maybe 8 oz) back in 1996 - god know's what they charge now.
  11. DSCF1674

DSCF1674

Walthers Trainline ALCO FA-1 Santa Fe
  12. DSCF1677

DSCF1677

Walthers Trainline ALCO FA-1 Santa Fe with missing horns
  13. DSCF1673

DSCF1673

Walthers Trainline ALCO FA-1 Santa Fe innards
  14. L

New Member from Mississippi - Englishman not a native.

Pete, I'm in Purvis - which is about 100 miles due south of you of course you probably know that.
  15. L

How do you paint a (real, full size) locomotive?

Bob, WOW - I have never seen a train painted before. Great video and nice theme for the paintwork. Thanks for posting it, Chris.
  16. L

Latest loco on my rails

Night train - it's funny you should say that - she was here by me at the computer and read the post - I don't think she was convinced - she just rolled her eyes and laughed.
  17. L

Latest loco on my rails

Just a quick HI to Ronzzr11 - I'm a Brit too - used to live in Ormskirk not far from you. I live in the U.S.A. now and have just taken up "playing with trains" as my wife calls it.
  18. L

Thanks for the feedback on DCC. For me it is a big step forward - I really know little or nothing about model railroading apart from the stuff I did on my layout. Somehow, I feel as though I should become a bit better acquainted with everything DC first. Discover what types of trains I want to...
  19. L

Michael, Thanks for the reply. When I started I didn't even know these were called DC layouts - I thought DCC was a channel on cable TV. I started out just wanting to run trains around the track then moved on to doing more with the track than was "normal". Along the way I saw some DDC loco's...
  20. L

Louis, As I said this became an obsession - don't know how many hours were spent putting this layout together - but lets just say if I spent as much time on my day job - i'd be rich by now :-) In case anyone is interested - all of that track is standard life like power loc - no custom made...

Back